Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bi-ast to Warwicks? Why

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea claypool, Oct 29, 2004.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i have read through alot of posts here at TB and ive come to the conclusion that alot of americans{no slur intended]
    dislike warwicks even hate them

ive have a few ideas like
    1. They seem to cost alot in america compared to a american made bass so ye save money

2. ye dislike them soundwise. but there is quite a big difference in tone between a streamer and a Vette
    so i cant see[hear] what sound you desire

3. Just dislike them cause of there country of oirigin

4. dare i say it Build Quaility

5. Other!

would someone please share light on this

Thanks
    Aurin :)

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'm German and don't really like them (don't like the look, sound and feel), does that count? :D

3. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
  4. yomchi247

yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    I love Warwicks!...anyone who doesn't should listen to Incubus "SCIENCE"

5. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland

ya i know but im on bout this site and its members :spit:

like 1-5 it aint that hard man :spit:

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats not a reason to dislike them, its just a factor that determines whether or not youd buy one.

Even if there is a big difference in tone between a few Warwicks, that doesnt mean that it will have a tone for everyone. The only Warwicks with a tone I liked were the maple body Corvette (Corvette FNA?) and an old all Wenge thumb. I probably wouldnt buy either though because they still dont have sounds that are useable to me.

The fact that they dont have what I want doesnt make me any more biased against them than any other bass.

Yeah, Americans hate Germany. :rolleyes:

What country are you from anyways? Its a good idea to fill out your profile.

While most are well built Ive played a few with splinters on the fingerboard, dead electronics straight from the factory, sagging nuts (giggle) and loose knobs. Ive also seen and read about a few neck throughs with the body seperating form the neck from the woods moving.

Or maybe they arent biased against Warwicks any more than they are biased against any other bass that doesnt feel or sound right for them.

7. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    They have big chunky necks and no fretboard radius.
    Some people love it. Some people can't stand it.

They are heavy and don't balance well.
    Huge to some people. Others don't give a darn.

They have a very unique sound to them, usually.
    Once again, it's love or hate.

They don't look anything like a Jazz.
    Some people will NEVER get over that.

Personally, I don't mind, but don't love'em. THe weight/balance would bother me, and I REALLY don't like the way they play. They do, however, sound damn-near perfect to me. I'd like one as a studio bass, anyways...
    People do USUALLY either love'em or hate'em though.

Oh, and I'm Canadian.

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Put me down as a lover. Got a thumb and a streamer, hands off ! they're mine, all mine :D

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I dislike them because of the chunky, uncomfortable necks, their extreme weight in most cases, the severe neck dive in most cases, and I don't find them particularly good looking. If you like them, more power to you.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love 'em, too! To each it's own.

11. I've never played one that was comfortable to me. The string spacing on a lot of them is too cramped for my playing stye, and I don't care for the neck dive on some of them. I prefer the Fender style spacing and neck profile.

Soundwise they cut through, but I could could never make them good to me, though other people sound great using them. Other basses give me the sound I like without much work.

It's different strokes for different folks, I guess...

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Remember that for every TB user that says they hate Warwick, there is one (including yourself) that talks about them as if God whittled them from angel bones.

I owned a Corvette fretless for a short time. It had a very nice tone, but it was difficult to play in the first position because of how the bass is designed. I dislike most of the Thumbs I've tried very much because of the long reach, TERRIBLE balance, and uber-heavy bodies and necks. Nice tone isn't worth poor playability-nice tone is easy to find in lots of other basses.

13. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    the neck doesnt feel right to me, I dunno what it is but when I play one it just feels wronge.

14. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    Exactly the reasons I do not already own a Thumb 5. Oh how I g.a.s.sed hard over one of those after seeing Fishbone a couple times. Loved the sounds and the look/shape, but the neck just didnt feel good in my hands... :meh:

Overall I think they are great. I could care less in what country a bass is manufactured if it feels good, sounds good and doesnt drive me into bankruptcy. :D

15. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    The main two things that get me about Warwicks are tone and neck dive.

The best sounding Warwick I've played was the only one that didn't have MEC electronics in it. That seems to be a large part of the problem with Warwick tone. To me, they sound like mud. Not warm and comfy, just mud. The one with EMG's in it sounded pretty good, though.

The craftsmanship on them is okay. I'd still rather get a Euro Spector than a Warwick any day, though.

16. I have owned at least 12 Warwicks (lost count). Loved my Thumb BO 4- never found a 5 or 6 that could compare, try as I might. Thumb BO 5 had neck dive & was too tight, Wide T 5 weighed a ton, my favorite was a Corvette 6- 12 pounds, but once strapped on, it balanced well. After '98, quality became iffy. Their looks still turn my head.

And not all Americans hate Germans.

17. I think price has a lot to do with how well warwick fair in the american market. you figure that most of the nicer warwicks cost around $2000+ US. once you get into that price range they are competing with other 100% hand-made custom makers like Roscoe, Benavente, Mike Lull ect...

but I'd say that for ever person who dislikes warwick stuff there is another guy who really digs it. that's the great thing about the bass market these days, there really is something out there for everybody.

18. Please don't make any assumptions about any nationality based off this forum. There is a good segment of this board (not to single this one out, this happens all over the net) that will trash anything they either: haven't played, haven't owned, haven't investigated, haven't ever had any real interest in, and know nothing about. But, because it's not what they like, certain people are compelled to throw trash about something they actually have very, very little insight on.

But of course there are also many, I'd say a majority, with objective and valid insight and experience around here, to a far greater level than I. There's a special, small group that does this "I'm an all knowing bass god" thing more than others.

Plus, this is obviously a place with musicians and aspiring musicians, an extremely pompous bunch when compared with the average population, myself included :smug:

BTW I'd love to have a buzzard ltd.

19. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I love my corvette FNA so much, that I have sold all of my other basses. It is heavy, but I use a neoprene strap so it does not bother me too much. I put an Aguilar OBP-3 pre-amp in it so I can have more control over my tone. I bought it used for $900, so I can't complain about the price.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I like warwicks a lot, and they are very popular here in santa barbara (maybe because the US distributor is here).

I don't think there is any kind of "bias", theres just a whole lot of choices out there...

I'd take a streamer stage 2 if you were giving them away :D