Bi/Dual Markbass 10x2 Combos - Instead of extension cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brosef, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Brosef

Brosef

Apr 8, 2018
    Geneva, IL
    I've been playing at home with the Markbass CMD 102P Combo (2 10's, 300w @ 8ohm) and loving it. I know not everyone is into the Markbass "transparent" sound but let's save that for another thread..

I'm playing with quite a loud band so I have been looking to add an extension cab to my amp in order to keep up. I've been looking at the 102hf (2x10, front ported) as it is basically the matching drivers and cabinet design from my combo and would bump my output up to 500w @ 4ohm.

Here is the question: I found a local deal on a 2nd used CMD 102P combo for the same price as a new extension cab. Now i'm tempted to do this because I think it would give me a few options: I could simply pull the amp as a spare, sell it, etc. and use the cabinet as an extension cabinet OR I could run 2 stacked combo's as basically a conveniently-packaged, easy to transport bi-amp setup. I've never played through 2 amps.. Is there any downside to this?

Also, this always gives me the flexibility to scale up even more to a 1000w 4-cabinet setup... For, ya know, the frickin stadium gigs I have scheduled.

Thoughts?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    With that jacked up upper midrange from their cabs, I wouldn't call Markbass stuff "transparent" :D But there really is no downside to picking up the second combo.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021