1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bi, tri, quad amp rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by unclejam, Apr 1, 2009.

1. any body use em?

just been looking at stereo rigs that could double as a pa

thanks ;)

ps pics are good

2. I'm not really sure if this is what you mean, but I use a 3 amp/5 cab rig...

l_ef0b578b83584119b89caeee0e642651.

The Earth amp started on fire a little over a week ago, so the Earth 2x15 isn't being used right now. It'll be back once I get another Sunn slave amp.

I'm pretty sure it could be used as a PA if need be. :smug:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, there are people who build themselves a bass rig based on a PA rig and do biamping and triamping, mostly biamping. Not my thing, but it's been done. I've plugged into biamped rigs before and they're cool but they always sound too much like a PA to me...too clean and pristine. If you do it, you should do it with cabs designed for it, which lets out the vast majority of bass cabs.

4. Didn't know if OP meant just multi amp setups or something more specific like sending certain frequency ranges to certain cabs and stuff like that.

5. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Entwistle's rig similar in concept to what you are describing?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Entwistle's rig wasn't a true biamped rig. He had different sized bass cabs running through their own Sunn amps. He might have set it to where one set of cabs was more bottomy than the others, but that's not a real biamp. That's a pseudo biamp. Worked for him, but tends to leave holes in the mids.

7. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    I used to bi-amp in the 80's. I wondered why it was not popular anymore. I guess the equipment is better now than what is was in the good old days. I was thinking last night about using a powered mixer head and two different cabinets. I see where for about $600 I could get 8 channel 2x500 or 600 watt power section with seperate graphic eq's. Using the graphis I could run lows into a 2x15 or 18 cab and run mids, his into a 4x10 or something like that. Seems cheaper to me to try that than the normal head and cab system. It could serve as a practice PA also. Any ideas on why it would not be a good idea???

8. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I use either a bi-amp or tri- amp set up.
    Bi-amp: F-1X into Carver PM300, into (presently) 1X15, and 4X5 in vertical array, 2U
    I use as my go to set up for jazz gigs, EB or EUB, and for rehearsals, most of the occasional small gigs I do these days.

For a long time I ran a 2X12 sub, and 3 way passive crossovered 1X12,1X6, peerless horn top

I don't do many large shows anymore, the occasional dep gig here and there but when I do I take:
    8U large show gig Tri-amp: speakers - 15" sub + (presently) 1X8 and 1 X peerless horn tweeter. When I tri- amp I use either a DBX driverack or a DBX223. I chop and change my gear all the time. Preamps are selected from: Read Purity, F-1X, VTBP201, Rane AP13, Trace V (recently sold); power amps: QSC, Stewart, many Carvers - I like old Carver power amps. FX: Rane DC24 or Symetrix 525, Rane PE17, AKAI PEQ 6 or Behringer Parametric. Used to use a Nady parametric, but it misbehaved before a show last Xmas and I don't use it anymore. Actually before the 8U rig, I used a 12 U rig with an AKAI MB76 which allowed midi footcontrolled selection of various preamps. Used the DigiMusicCorp Ground Control. It was way overkill for most gigs.

9. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    My Carvin SBR1015 is bi-amped. I enjoy the clarity.

If you're looking for a PA cab that can be used as a bass cab, the Carvin LS1503 gets allot of thumbs up around here. There are some rumblings of a upgraded one specifically for 3-way bass use, so you may want to see if that happens.

10. Yeah i think ima stick with QSC amplification but um recomendations on a good dsp would be great

11. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    A DSP for...?

12. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    yea son. always love seeing your rig, Matt.

how do you deal with the neighbors anyway? that looks like a garage.

13. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I think he's dealing with the neighbors and/or police in the background.

14. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    I used to biamp a 210 and an 18 with an active crossover. I wanted to spare my 210 some of the lows, but it turned out that my 18 sounds very good full range. So, in the end I ran the 18 full range, and cut the lows on my 210. Sounds beautiful now.

15. Being 21, I still live with my folks (that's my dad on the phone in that pic, not me ;) ), and my dad has asked all our neighbors and basically they're fine with it. ha At least all the immediate neighbors, I don't know about the people down the street that can also hear it blasting. But we always stop by 9PM. Never had the cops called on us. My dad said he can feel the end of our driveway vibrating when we play. ha

16. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I use an Eden WT-800 for gigs sometimes. It has a built in crossover in it. I can run a 2x10 on top of a 1x15 & it's easy to tweak it with the balance control and it sounds very good. But honestly, I prefer the sound of the amp bridged into a 6x10.

17. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I used to bi-amp with my old Peavy Mark III into a Sunn Concert Slave amp. The Peavey amp would run the highs into a Marshall 4x12 and the Sunn slave would power the lows into a Sunn Coliseum 12+18 cab (an SPL-8028) which had a passive x-crossover to split the freqs between the 12" and the 18" as well.

Was fun while it lasted, but 1) I don't play large rooms any more and 2) that's a lot of heavy gear to haul around!

I bought a GK 1001/210 combo which I sometimes run into the Sunn cab for yuks.

18. x-over, time correction, eq n all that good stuff

19. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Driverack PA is OK. Not fantastic, but it should do for backline. Behringer have them too though they make a seperate EQ and speaker management unit at the price range of the lower cost Driverack. Peavey make them, BBS etc -

I doubt you really need time correction in backline use; if you do you are probably standing too far away from your backline for it to be 'backline'. These products are PA products and not all the functions apply for backline, also the ease of use is really in the PA paradigm - i.e. set up and leave it, as opposed to change on the fly as you want to with a backline unit. That said, the Driverack has DBX's subharmonic generator - their bombox - which other makes don't usually have - it may be off use to you.

For those reasons, I often prefer the DBX223 as it allows me to adjust on the fly without scroll trough menus, and I can tweak the any freq. band with a twist of a knob. Same applies to parametric EQ.