Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

biamp box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jul 26, 2004.

1. hello,
    as many probably know, i've got my peavey 1810, which is biampable, and i got a head which isn't. is there a box i can put in between the head and the cab to split the signal? i was told in order to have a proper biamp setup, i need the head and the cab to be biampable. is that true? i mean, since i don't have the biamp head, would i need a box in between?

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Biamping involves having two power amplifiers...one for the low frequencies, one for the high. The frequency split is handled by an electronic crossover.

As it is, the cabinet has a passive crossover in it (I believe) to split the signal between the 18 and the 10s.

If you have a preamp output/power amp input jacks on your amp, you could insert the electronic crossover there, and add a power amp for driving either the 18 or the 10s. If you have a very powerful head, you could get by with a smaller power amp for the 10s. If the head's output is moderate, go the other way around.

Does that make any sense?

3. 100%!

thank you for explaining that. it actually did make sense, as to why i would need an amp with biamp, and a cab with biamp.

Thanks!

Charlie

4. so now, i've got a new question. I've got an ART nightbass SE, which has a crossover. say i were to plug that into the effect loop of my amp, would that work as a biamp for the amplifier? or is it only a passive crossover? (yes, thank you BillyB for the added phrase to my amp vocabulary!)

Charlie

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That would be an electronic crossover... A passive crossover is generally reserved for placing between amplifier outputs and speakers. Very different animals those two.

You'd take a high or low output from the Nightbass into the fx return on your amp. The other one (low or high) would need to feed a separate power amp, then go to the speaker.