1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Biamp exeriment: Guv'nor and MicroPOG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OptimusPrime, Sep 26, 2008.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I just spent the last hour experimenting with a biamp setup using my MicroPOG and original Marshall Guv'nor. I recorded about 5 minutes of it. It's just one big "noodle-fest" :)p I suck) with me randomly turning knobs until something passable came out.

I sent the dry output of the MicroPOG through the rest of my board and to my Ashdown MAG 210 combo, the effect output of the POG got sent to my Ampeg V2/410 rig. The MicroPOG had the dry and sub-octave cranked for most of the time and I think at one point I cut it to all sub-octave. I also played around with dry to the Ampeg and Guv'nor to the Ashdown.

The Guv'nor doesn't sound to great with the MicroPOG running into it. It seems to get confused and cluttered. So I sent each of them to separate amps. The one thing I didn't get to try was running the plain sub-octave signal into my Hematoma then Ampeg and then the regular Marshall signal to the Ashdown.

I didn't really get anywhere with it. It sounded to off balance because the amps are next to each other. I want to try again with the rigs stacked so everything might seem to be more focused.

Anyway, the recording sucks. I set my laptop about 5 ft. away from everything and used Audacity with my computers microphone.

I don't think anything useful came out of this experiment. But I don't have the money to buy a proper blender right now.

Any feedback would be great. Ideas? Comments, concerns ... insults?

http://media.putfile.com/Biamp-experiment-Guvnor-and-MicroPOG

:(

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Awesome! Where can I buy one?

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    This thread blew up in my face over on HC.

4. In what way?

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Some idiot called me stupid repeatedly, told me my gear was cheap, waved all his expensive gear around for some reason and somehow I'm the one who's wrong when I flipped on him. :scowl:

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Poop on him. Cheap stuff rocks!

7. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    He's just an idiot. I just want some feedback on the best way to put some low end back in with my Guv'nor using 2 amps instead of going out and buying a blender.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    There's really no other way to put low end in back with the Guvnor besides blending. It's a guitar pedal made by an amp company that hates low end. Ever work the bass knob on a Marshall amp? Not much leeway.

9. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Shouldn't sending clean to one amp and the distorted signal to another achieve almost the same result as having a blender? Hell, having an octave down to the clean amp too should make a "phat" tone. I have no experience with biamping or blenders and just wanted someone to explain the best way to go about this. Instead a got a **** storm.

10. What you really need to try is a wet/dry setup. Have one amp the bigger more powerful amp as your dry tone-no effects at all, likely the V2/410. Send all your effects thru the smaller amp, the Ashy 210, and adjust the volume until you get the blended sound you want. Trying to get 2 seperate effects/amp chains to work together has been in my experience difficult and frustrating. This will give you a psuedo stereo effect when using mudulation,delays & reverb and mondo crunch with the phat bottom intact.

11. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    That's what I did. I couldn't find anything I liked. All the Ampeg was getting was either clean or sub-octaved. The Ashdown was getting the Marshall and all my other effects (flanger and phaser were all that got used).

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I was thinking of using the µPOG to biamp as well. Something like this:

Code:
    µPOG -> wet (dry+sub blend) -> mute? -> 1x15 or 1x18 amp 

|
     V

dry -> Hematoma (low gain) -> splitter/stereo mute -> Wah -> low gain fuzz/dist -> 4x10 or 4x12 amp
                               |
                               ------------------> Wah -> high gain fuzz/dist -> 4x10 or 4x12 amp
    AKA: Timmy C!

Im thinking that I would have the splitter and mute separate, and have the mute allow me to mute any of the 3 chans or all at once. 4 button monstrosity!

13. It's possible that one of the amps or the cab is out of phase since we are talking amps from diffenent manufacturers.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I edited that for you in the quote so you don't get double spanked by a mod ;)

I misread what you said earlier. Yeah, it should work decently. I didn't think your tone was off by much. Stacking will definitely help, but as far as recording goes, I think you just need to keep playing with the blend of the signals. I don't have a lot of experience with octave generators, but I would think twice about distorting an octave down, or maybe use a separate OD on it that's not as brutal to low end as the Guvnor.

Just throwing that out there as an idea...may work, may not.

15. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I'm telling you right now that the µPOG + Hematoma combo will get you incredibly close to his OD tone in Kick Out the Jams. When you use both outputs of the POG, when you turn the effect off, both outputs get a clean signal, so you would need a separate mute box to cut the signal completely.

16. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Yeah, it would be nice if I had 2 Ashdown combos.

17. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I edited my original post too.

I need to try the stacking thing next. The Hematoma with a straight, no clean, octave down signal is pretty badass. It won't cut through a mix, but the tone is awesome. And still have the Guv'nor going through the Ashdown. I want to find a reason to keep it because I've wanted it longer than any pedal. I finally got it and it's not doing much for me. :(

18. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :cool: That chain is still in the infant stages of planning :ninja: I should do up a pic in paint or something. It would prolly give me a better idea of what im doing if nothing else lol.

19. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Doing a painting of a future board is fun as hell.

October of last year
    [​IMG]

August of this year
    [​IMG]

The only things they have in common are the wah, flanger and DC Brick.