1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Biamp'd 12/10 DIY project

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rpsands, Oct 21, 2009.

1. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Background: I've got some DIY experience with cabinet construction and fiddling, but pretty much set on cabinets. This is more of a hobby thing I'm thinking about.

So I have a cabinet - it's 28" high by 15" deep by 21" wide or so with roughly 3.7cf of internal space. after baffle setback and all that, probably closer to 3cf after some additional bracing, lining and batting is done.

The awesome thing about it is the whole baffle comes off, and I have a spare quarter sheet or so of baltic birch with enough to cut a new baffle (and then some).

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The plan!

I should have around 26.5 x 19.5 of baffle space, roughly.

Build a cabinet with two inputs, two drivers, each in their own sealed chamber.

One 12" using a Kappalite 3012LF, and one 10" or 12" guitar driver .

Amp: Use my spare Yamaha PB1's built in crossover to run highs to one side of a power amp, lows to the other, and obviously send the highs to the guitar driver and lows to the 3012LF. Probably around 150-200hz. Might need to run some distortion on the high side but I think if I dial in some boost at the right frequencies the natural coloration of the driver should achieve a lot.

Based on some sensitivity matching I'm thinking that a 10" guitar driver would probably be suitable as long as I'm willing to drive the woofer a bit harder.

Goal: Achieve a sound similar to that of those folks who run a separate guitar combo, possibly cop some SVT tone.

Anyone have driver suggestions or other comments?

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I'm going to sneak onto the back of the wagon for the ride.:ninja:

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I look at the 3012LF and can't get it loud enough with my comparatively wimpy Peavey heads; If it was me, I'd just use a 3015LF in the 3.7 cu ft box by itself, and build a separate enclosure for the low mids. No replacement for displacement, and all that jazz.......

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'd just get my distortion chain together. You already have a cab that shrivels guitarists' egos when the proper 'nads stomp box gets called on.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I have no problem with distortion or anything with my current cab - i can get plenty of distorted tones I like. And I have plenty of power to get a 3012Lf loud enough for my needs.

More of a proof of concept to the idea of making a cabinet that is voiced kinda similarly to a vintage SVT but with a lot less space, weight, and sufficient bootay.

I may try out a 3015LF and a guitar 10, as I believe I can get that to fit in the box, and I have spare 3015Lfs in my 3080.

If anyone else has suggestions for this box by all means shoot - it seems like the box would be a good fit for a vertical 2x12 with 3012HOs also :)