1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Biamping vs. good pedal for OD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Circles, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Dr. Circles

Dr. Circles Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2003
    I've got a SVT-CL (used w/ 4x10s or 8x10s) and a Fender Twin (65 reissue) and would need to invest in a good pedal (which I don't mind doing). I've been having trouble getting a good OD sound. I don't want to hotplate my SVT all the time and replace the tubes constantly (with tube saturation OD) and I'd also like a clean sound on some of the stuff I play. I've read about biamping w/ a bass head clean and a guitar amp overdriven. Would it sound better to 1. Biamp, keeping the SVT clean and using a guitar OD pedal on the twin, effectively only overdriving the highs and keeping the lows clean or 2. Forget the Twin and get a good OD or clean boost for my SVT and using just that? In this case, would I better off with a clean boost or OD? Both?

Essentially, is it better to just overdrive the highs while the lows are clean through biamping or to OD the whole signal (keeping in mind that many pedals will cut out some of the low frequencies)?

Thanks!

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like biamping, but it's ultimately up to what kind of sound you want.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, it's all up to your personal taste. As far as pedals cutting the lows, many don't, and many of the ones that DO can be modded for bass. Head on over to the Effects forum and search on "overdrive" or "distortion". Lots to read.

4. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    Hey man over the last three years I have tried just about every way you could think of to get a great over-drive bass sound, In the end it just takes a $120 pedal form voodoo labs the sparkle drive this thing gets the best bass over-drive I have ever heard. As far as taking away form your low end this pedal won't affect your clean tone at all in fact it helps it, This pedal works by giveing your clean tone a 10db boost and then letting you set your od and blend back in your clean tone ,"its like having one amp set clean and another set dirty" which i have done and the sparkle drive is 10 times better at it. Also the hotter the bass you use will help i run a fender jaguar which is really hot and this with the sparkle drive and an ampeg preamp is more then sweet.

PS run form your bass to the sparkle drive then to your amp's input this seems to work the best .....

John:bassist: :bassist:

5. TyronPotamkin

TyronPotamkin

Dec 12, 2006
    I run a Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive and the pedal is truly amazing for its price tag. It's the only pedal that I have run that has note clarity, bottom end, and searing highs when you walk up the neck. The only complaint I have with it is it's not loud enough. I'm sending it off to www.indyguitarist.com and having them re-work the volume switch so I can cut through the mix and be heard.

As far as bi-amping, never done it so I cant help ya there.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm having great results from my EHX English Muff'n for OD and Little Big Muff for thick fuzz with my SVT-CL.

Like bongo said, click on over to the Effects forum and do some searching.

7. Dr. Circles

Feb 19, 2003
    Thanks for all the tips guys!

Two more questions-

1. If I do decide to go the biamp route, what pedal should I get to OD the high freqs through the Twin?

2. If I were to get a Sparkle Drive, should I get it with the Keeley mod?

Thanks!

8. Dr. Circles

Feb 19, 2003
    Also, add any more suggestions if you have them...

9. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    Man i sorry i don't know what the keeley mod is i have the normal one and it kicks ass . I know the tone your going for is your thing but i really think just getting the sparkle drive and useing one amp full rage will save you alot of money and time and it will also be alot quicker to set-up your rig.

john

10. guidedbassman

guidedbassman

Nov 21, 2006
    malone ny
    Just for the heck of it what is the keeley mod and how would it make the sparkle drive better>?>

john

11. Dr. Circles

Feb 19, 2003