1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bias problems on SVT-AV

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shortbuscubed, Apr 13, 2006.

1. shortbuscubed

shortbuscubed

Aug 11, 2005
    hey, i dont know if its really a problem, but i recently purchased a used ampeg svt-av. while the seller was showing me the amp, he pointed out the biasing controls on the rear, and how they needed to be adjusted periodically (the red/green lights need to match up). he then proceeded to adjust so it was "biased" and i didnt think anything of it. the problem is, now everytime i turn the thing on, the lights dont match up, and i need to adjust it everytime i turn it on. ideas/suggestions? i know it says to wait 20 min to warm up, then check, maybe i should wait longer?
    any input is appreciated.
    thanks

2. Congratulations! You've just discovered the main reason why those bias lights are a bad idea and are more confusing than helpful. Unless your amp sounds bad or acts funny, ignore them. If it does sound bad, take it to a reputable service tech and have it properly biased.