Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bias

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Julius73, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Julius73

Julius73

Feb 23, 2004
    Italia
    Good morning to all,
    I would like having an information about re-biasing of tubes.
    First, I am not very skilled but I know that the bias of my amp must being set at 80mV by the check station placed on the rear panel (I found 80mV on my handbook and the check method reading another forum).

Substantially, I need knowing:
    1-What sound differences I'm going to have if I set the bias a bit less than 80mv or if I set it slightly higher.
    2-Is there connection (...in terms of good sound) between bias set and gain level?

In general, what could you suggest to me?

Thanks in advance.

2. the bias is so that each tube takes an even amount of the power, so that one doesnt take more than its partner, hence making the one thats taking more power burn out quicker

im sure theres probably something more malicious in there too, the mV settings are different per amp, i think mine 0.072V DC, but you need some sort of oscillascope into the input and a load resistor out the back of the amp, so its probably better to get a tech to do it (ive asked about it before)

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183902