1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bib me!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by B String, Aug 23, 2007.

1. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I need a bib that stays in place. Perhaps one that ties
    around the front. Who's offering a good bib? where do I
    get one? HELP!!!

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a big fan of these. A few styles to choose from depending on your usage.

Attached Files:

3. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Perfect! ....well almost

4. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
  5. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I use a big ol' kitchen apron. Free, from Mom, and better than the stupid thing I had paid $35 for. Try it.

6. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I know exactly what you mean. I looked everywhere in the NY area, and the only one I found that tied across the C bout was at David Gage's. It was a couple of years ago, so I don't know if they still have any, but if you really want one he'd be worth a try.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I got this one from David Gage. They seem to carry them sporadically. I suggest you give them a call and ask for Ruth Conroy. I have also used the Kolstein bib and I greatly prefer the one from Gage.

Img_1866.

8. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    If you or anyone you know has simple sewing skills buy fabric and make one it isn't hard, I can't sew worth crap and I made one in 15 minutes. cost me 5 dollars in material

9. After trying both the Kolstein and Lemur bibs I am convinced this is the way to go. AND you can custom fit it to your Bass!:hyper:

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    I'd like to point out that the Gage bib has elastic gathering at the edges that make it fit nice and snug around the upper bout. Hey, if you can sew, great! I can't and for the price it wouldn't be worth it to me to try and fashion one myself even if I could sew.

11. yeah the nice thing is that you can make it as snug as you want when you custom making it all you have to do is fit it on there pin it then sew it.

12. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    I can make mine as snug as I wish by adjusting how it is tied-- and I didn't have to sew a thing. Again, given how little these things cost, I just don't see the percentage in a DIY job.

13. You seem pretty adept at equations, so do the math, smart guy!:smug:

14. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    they aren't so cheap depending where you are 8 years back when I ordered one from Kolstien after shipping, duty, and taxes and the money conversion it cost me close to 50 bucks cdn, even then are dollar wasn't the worst it was about 85 to the dollar.

15. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, gee, I did. I also figured in the time and trouble that would be involved. That is, unless one is particularly adept at such things and already has the right equipment, etc. I also was not happy with the Kolstein and Lemur type of bibs. The beautiful bib from Gage ran me all of $30+. Did you ever try the Gage? It is soft material with a nice backing.

16. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    What's the big issue? If you want to make one yourself, or use mom's kitchen apron (?!), go right ahead, but I'm with drurb on this one. Any bib that I'd be able to make would look like crap, and the trade off of 30 whole dollars versus the time wasted getting the material, fitting it, and sewing it together was one I was more than willing to make.

17. It's no big deal, I guess the cost of your time and tailoring skills are factors also, But IMO, the price difference is the cost of a new etude book, some new rosin, etc..In short, I can think of better uses for the $20 or so you would save by doing it yourself.

18. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles

This is exactly what I've been looking for. I didn't anything
    on the Gage site when I looked. I'll call them this week.
    Hope they still sell this bib. Thanks for the info.

19. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Received my bib from David Gage. Thanks milomo, it's
    exactly what I've been looking for. Cheap, made well, and
    doesn't budge a bit. They didn't have it on the web site.
    I had to call and order it. Took a week total from NY to LA.