Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bibs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by JazznFunk, Apr 15, 2002.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I was just curious as to the purpose of bibs for double basses. I've seen only a couple of players use them, so I figured I'd ask. Is it primarily to protect the finish of the bass?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yup. Also a good place to put your gum.

3. Also great if your playing at the Red Lobster.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    .... I was waiting for that one. haha!

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use one because the buttons on my jacket "rattle" through the amp if I don't.

6. bassy18

bassy18

Oct 30, 2001
    Here
    What is a bib?

7. A shaped cloth that hangs from the neck and drapes over the right shoulder to prevent scratching the finish.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I sat in on Johannes Weidenmueller's bass the other night and noticed that he has his on the left shoulder. I guess he must be more concerned with the sleeve buttons on his shirt causing trouble as he goes in and out of TP.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've only seen anything similar on one Jazz DBers bass over here - but this seemed to cover like the top third of the back of the bass - it wasn't on one shoulder or the other, but covered both.

It's easier to see at Jazz gigs because generally you are closer; but I'll have to look out for this at the next orchestral concert I go to. Last time, I saw the London Symphony playing Messiaen and there was a huge bass section, but I was really too far from the stage to see detail like this.

10. I scratched by bass that way at my first thumb position lesson; the offending weapon was a steel watchband.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Anyone sitting in on my girl gets a once over for weapons -- zippers, watches, belt buckles and the like. :)