Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bicycle for daily commuting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 29, 2003.

1. I need a decent commuting bicycle for $250 or less, preferably. I don't need a mountain bike, I don't need more than 7 or maybe 10 speeds, and I
    certainly don't need a heavy-duty suspension.

One bike that would certainly fit my needs is the Schwinn Voyageur Sport. However, I'm sure there are other options out there.

Anyone?

2. this would be nice (though it might be a little out of your price range) :p

[​IMG]

3. Actually, a Segway wouldn't be a very good option--I'm pretty sure it's banned on sidewalks in the entire state of California, and I wouldn't be surprised if I got pulled over by a cop for using one in the bicycle lanes.

Plus, I want to actually be in decent shape at the end of two years in LA... :p

4. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
  5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Peter, I spent the weekend traipsing around your ol' neck o' the woods. Luckily I didn't fall off of the footbridge and into the gorge...

Cool Art Museum.

6. Pete get something a bit cooler like a beach type cruiser. look for something like this one. this is a 6 speeder some come in 3,6 and 10 speeds, they look way cooler than those stiff looking commuter bikes...(( edit)) wow I just found a site that is selling this same bike for $155. I am going to pick one up..sweeeeet!
    [​IMG]

7. Ahh yes, the ultimate lazy ass machine...

8. My lanlord bought a full chrome one. He also has a chrome helmet he uses when riding it.

Backround : His mother did drugs and he was a boxer so he's the tipical "dumb" looking guy. He never even got to finish highschool.

Because of this and his large size and him being about 40, he looks like a dufus on it.

9. [​IMG]

10. I was really considering getting one of those low-rider bikes--there's one on Craigslist L.A. for $150(!)--but I think that it might be a target for theft in South Central.

It's a shame, because I've wanted one ever since I saw Baby Boy. :p

11. Whoa, where'd you find that? The built-in mudguards alone make it worthwhile...

Could I bolt a rack and/or saddlebags onto it?

12. Best advice is to find and visit a good bike shop, tell them how much you have to spend and get a bike that is low-maintenance, durable and made with good quality parts.

Some shops will have parts bikes, spares and end-of-year blowouts that are good deals.

Avoid:

Suspension
    Exotic sounding materials and/or technology
    9-speed rear hubs
    plastic

Look for:

Hardware - Shimano or Campagnolo (servicable!!!)
    Frame - Chrome-moly
    Feel - Solid, tactile and durable

If there are any reputable used or rebuilder type shops in town go there first. You will get a better bike than the hybrid monstrosity you are looking at that's fer sure.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dangit! I was going to post that! No fair!

14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'd recommend something like this:

[​IMG]

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just remember, less turns for greater distance!

16. Oh man, the direct drive is heinous, though.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yeah, but sure is fun when you're going downhill...whee!!!

18. Yeah, definitely. My old Specialized Hardrock was all-Shimano and it was an absolute tank. I'm not sure if I could get a chrome-moly frame in this price range, but I'll try my damnedest. And, of course, feel is key.

Anyone know much about Giant bikes? A lot of my peers have recommended them and I figure that since about 100 million Chinese and Taiwanese ride 'em to work every day, they've got to be somewhat decent. ;)

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can only attest to their mountain bikes. Rode a Giant for a year 'til I hit a mud patch and slipped off the trail into a ditch...banged me up pretty bad, few paint chips and bent wheels. Repair was outta the question, winter was coming so I offloaded it to a buddy for $100 and he fixed it up, loves it to this day. I'm riding Haro's these days and they're really nice too, but they don't do much in the way of non-mountain bikes.