Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bicycle repair / maintenance - please help.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Question - How hard is it to pull three piece cranks and should I even bother?
    Whole story:
    Here's the deal. Old mountain bike, but it was a good bike back in the day. (maybe 15 years old - Schwinn MOS Siera... it's a descent bike, really IMO) It's sat for 10 years and the last couple of years have been outside. :( When I recovered it from Mom and Dad's, orange rust water came out of the head tube when I tilted it to put it in the car. I really want to get it going as I have an itch to do some biking, but very little cash (can't go buy a new bike) I had the front hub done at the bike shop today - the back hub seems okay. I cleaned surface rust off of the chain and sprockets. I've got the brakes working good. The derailleurs seem okay, I bought new shifters as one of the shifters was broke when I parked it and the other was seized from time and the elements. I've taken the handle bars and forks off and cleaned them up along with the bearings and all related pieces and the inside of the tube and I'll grease it and put it back together and it should be okay.
    The question: Should I do the bottom end - the part that the cranks go through? The cranks turn and it doesn't feel like there is any major problem, (I test rode the bike today after getting the front wheel done and it seemed rideable except for shifting) but there _was_ rust in the head tube and rust in the seat post tube and by shining a flashlight down the seat post tube - there is rust down there. I feel like I should take the cranks off and clean and check the bearings and lube and reasemle, (at that point I'll have it down to the frame, less demounting the derailleurs) but I'm a little afraid I might get in over my head with the cranks because I've never done them. Are they hard to remove or install? Any special tools required? Do you think it's even necessary? Sorry for the long post, any advice is appreciated.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    There is a tool for pulling off the crank arms, Crank arm puller. You should be able to go to a bike shop have them remove them. If there cool they will do it for free, since it will take about 1 min.
    First, you can try to take a piece of 2x4 and a mallet and "LIGHTLY" tap the crank arm to see if it will loosen and come off. Place the 2x4 at the part of the crank arm near the spindle and with the mallet "LIGHTLY" tap the 2x4.
    If this has no effect then go to a bike shop.

Good luck.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Thanks Tor. I've decided not to attempt it for lack of knowledge and proper tools. The bike should ride okay as it is, so I'm going to put it back together and run it untill I can afford to have the guys at the shop do that part. You saved me some grief and frustration as I would have spent all day trying to figure out how to get the cranks apart - now if the install of the new Shimano shifters goes okay, I may be going for a ride this afternoon.

Hey - anybody got any tips for installing the shifters. The directions that came with them really suck so I'm going to wing it.

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Creepy,

I forgot to mention that you can also purchase the crank puller tool, I can't recall what they go for though.

Man, this remids me that I gotta get some riding time in before winter.