Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bicycle trailer for towing kids...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chad Michael, May 11, 2004.

1. Ok, wife and I are tuning up the bikes for some riding this summer. We want to get one of those tow-behind trailers so we can tow our son around :D .

Been looking into the models offered by Trek, Burley, and Chariot. Wondered if anyone has used a trailer and has any advice?

Thanks,
    -b
    :)

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have an older Burley...bought it about 15 years ago. I love trailers, you can carry two kids with one bike, they are better balanced than bike seats and the kids like them better too!

To me, the Burleys are the best but also the priciest. I've seen off brands as cheap as $69. A lot of your choice depends on how much you will use it, how long your rides will be, do you need to be able to convert it into a stroller, etc.

If you want to be able to drive somewhere to go riding, make sure you get a trailer that folds up (my Burley does, many don't).

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Bimp, we're looking at the double seater version of the Trek you posted above. It also has an adapter so you can use it as a walker/stroller. Haven't used any yet, so I can't offer any real feedback.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I had a Winchester around 13 years ago. One seat faced forward and one rearward. Both side by side. The girls loved it. It was just great. Back then, I paid around USD250 for it.

Winchester's were pretty popular in Canada back then. As mentioned above, much safer that bike seats, offering roll bar protection.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I had an Equinox trailer about 14 years ago. I believe they're still in business (in WA state).

At the time the Equinox was the largest of the Burley-type trailers...its hitch was a bit of a pain, but we enjoyed using the trailer quite a bit.

If you have wheels with quick release hubs, make sure that you install them so that the stance is at least as wide or wider at the bottom as the top. Also, be careful going around corners. The trailer was very stable but I mistakenly snapped a bit to finish the curve and the trailer went on its side. My daughter was P.O.'d at me BIG TIME, but wasn't hurt since she was wearing her helmet and was strapped in.

Trailers sure beat kiddie seats on the back of the bike...I was getting real tired of having my legs kicked when we were riding.

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Something like that looks as if it would also be handy for transporting an amp around! Does anyone put one to that kind of use?

Wulf

7. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    :D Lol

I tow my kids around in ours with their helmets on too. That's good reassurance to keep doing it.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The newest TalkBass trend: becoming suburbanite. Seems like everybody is buying a house, a minivan, or a kid towing contraption lately.

Excuse me while I go start a thread about propane and propane accesories.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hey, I just bought a minivan.... Had planned on staying with a car, but no one makes a decent sized hatchback anymore (like my Saab 9000) and my 13 year old son is about 6 ft tall. The minivan gave us cargo room and leg room...and it's wonderful to travel in...

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Suburbanite? Oddly enough, everything you list is also part of an urban setting.

Ah, how I miss San Francisco's blind disdain for the bridge and tunnel people.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My folks used to have one - they got it about 25 years ago or more. It was called The "Bugger" (brand name). Dad used to pull two boys around until we were about 5 and 8. We loved it. I remember somebody (I think mom) crashed a bike while pulling the bugger (no fault of the trailer) and fell of the bike / layed it down - the trailer stayed stable and the kid (little bro) was not hurt or endangered in anyway. When we were a little older a family friend also had one and was giving neighborhood kids rides and trying to throw them or flip it - he couldn't do it. It seemed very stable and safe. I knew another guy who who used one to haul Elk quarters out of the woods with a mountain bike. If Bugger is still around I'd check one out, they've been making a good bike trailer for a long time.

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just moved here. I brought my own arrogance with me. :cool:

13. Thanks for the kid trailer info and such. :)

Looks like mother-in-law is planning to get us a Burley - if and when, I'll post pics :D .