1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bicycles and Basses 3 string follow up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgwatts, Apr 23, 2006.

1. As A young man,I used to race mountain bikes. They were heavy, had 15 speeds ,but were tons of fun. Then they got more gears.Then they got lighter.Then they got front suspension.Then more gears ,again.Then they got rear suspension. Then they got even lighter. ALL PROGRESS. ALL FASTER ALL BETTER. Then a bunch of "RETRO GROUCHS" (like me). Revolted and went to SINGLE speed bike,with no suspension. Does this sound familiar? 4 string.5 String,Lighter better faster. Funny thing is.... Those single speed guys are so damned smooth on their "retro rockets" thats it is truly poetry to watch these guys . They are all about fun. And the ZEN of the simplicity of the whole thing. These guys are (to me)the most fun to ride with. Basses? That three string is sounding more appealing all the time.:cool:

2. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    Did you see the article on 3-string bass, I think the guy's name is Dusty Wakefield, in Bass Player mag a few months ago? I'd like to try that some time. But don't take my 5 away, either!
    Retro Grouch, I like that!

3. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Ditched my 5er in favour of a better 4, found I was not useing the extended range that much at this stage of the game, I will however down the road move up to a 6er

I still think that the "traditional 4" will always endure for me.

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Just look at an Elsworth single the other day. Something about the simplicity spoke to me.
    But give me my Giant XTC AC Air full susp and I'm home. Along with my 5 string!

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Another parallel can be drawn with the sport of running. After years and years of footwear development and technology, many athletes are reverting to bare feet, particularly in the cross-country realm.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's true, this phenomenon has even crossed over into the field of formation fighter-jet piloting. These days more and more pilots are forgoing the use of radar, radio communication, and hi-test fuels. Many of them are going back to jumping off a precipice and flapping their arms, in perfect formation.

7. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    4 strings and hardtails. I like to roll light.

W

8. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    4 strings and a klein attitude V hardtail with continental touring road tires. peace, jeff

9. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    And then some guys on rigid singlespeeds, like me, aren't damned smooth at all. And I always though that the reason that people liked riding with singlespeeders is because we dont show up in spandex...

10. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

I didn't look good in spandex in the 80's, and I sure as hell don't look good in it now. Well, I haven't tried, but trust me, I won't look good!!

11. IMO you just have to accept the risks that come with gear that is less forgiving of bonehead moves or lapses of attention.

A friend of mine endoed an unsuspended bike in an MTB race a couple of years ago and broke a vertebrae in his neck. He was very lucky and recovered pretty well. If he had a suspension fork he likely would have bounced right over the rock that threw him.

With a 3 string bass, it would just mean the same sort of thing - less forgiving of bad fingering choices. Make a bad choice, and have to make a huge move on the neck or have nowhere to go. Not totally a bad thing IMO just requires more planning and attention.

Peace,
    S

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's also true in the automotive world. More and more car makers are putting holes in the floorboard so consumers can adopt a Fred and Barney approach.

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    You guys must not be packing much heat if you don't need spandex...I gotta wear some under my shorts to keep things "in line", if you take my meaning.

BTW, how is that new Smith working out for ya Mike?

14. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Wow Will, getting a little personal eh?!?!
    Boxer briefs my friend. Or cotton/lycra chamoise padded riding shorts under my regualr shorts ......why the hell are we takling about this?!?!??!!!!:D

Smith......digin' it man. It's cool.

15. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I guess I'm wearing lycra, I forgot there was a difference.

No subject is too personal for my Talkbass brethren. Well, almost no subject.

I really dug the Nordy humcancellers in mine. I found the stock Smith jazz PU's to be quite thin...the Nordies were just perfect for that bass and worked great with the Smith pre. If they don't fit your routs I'm sure Carey could wind some for you. I also liked the Aero's pretty well in that bass, but the Nordies were better.

16. Might as well make that 4 stringer a Peavey T40. If riding to a gig on that hardtail doesn't ruin your back, the weight of the bass will finish the job!;)

Bob

17. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Don't worry about me, I'm young and limber. It's you AARP members that need 38lb full suspension rigs.

18. Just wait youngster ;) time waits for no one. Back when I was still healthy enough to ride it was a 32lb full suspension recumbent. Never tried to carry a bass on that - no idea where I would have put it.

The good thing about recumbents is that most guys consider them girly enough that no guys ever bugged me to ride it.

Peace,
    S

19. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i LOVE doing barefoot strides on the football/soccer field at school. the grass is so nice. and the goose poop.

20. How about a gut-bucket bass... :ninja: