Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bicycles are good

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Aug 14, 2003.

1. two weeks ago i bought a new 2002 Kona Cinder Cone mountain bike and tonight i finally got a chance to really break it in. For a ride I left from my home and i rode to my girlfriends house two towns over and then back! Why i am soo excited is because it is a 40 mile ride round trip! My girlfriend also was a skeptic on me being able to do that sort of thing and i did it for her and now i am in like flint:cool: . Any one else out here like to go for an epic ride? I am really feeling like my legs are going to fall off but i feel good.

Whoo! that was great!

By the way, Kona makes one HELL of a bike. Check'em out atKona Bikes

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    See! (re: my alternate power supply in black out thread)

:p

3. kona=good mountain bikes
    and as for bmx bikes they are totally lost

4. :rolleyes:

;) :D

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I use to ride a bike back and forth to classes last year all day. I probably rode about 7 or 8 miles a day. It was a killer workout. But it felt good.

6. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Excellent - kona make really nice MTB frames. Had a Kula for a couple of years.

Just get out and ride it !

In the way of epic rides we did a 83 miles ride last year, got a 43 mile off road race next month (on my singlespeed). Trying to slot a 100 in this year but its all down to my cycling buddy having time.

7. 83 miles in one ride? !:eek:

wow, do you race alot of cross country racing? i am also intrigued by your single speeder, give us some specs on that.

the Kona cinder cone i got is a slightly modded version of the 2002 to make it more to 2003 spec.
    I put on a shimano deore XT rear deraileur, new disc wheel set with full disc brake set up and some semi-slick tires for cruisin the streets

8. We did about 100km (65 miles) one day back in highschool. If you take breaks it isn't too tiring but my ass was so incredibly sore I'd never do that again without a 10 inch thick pad on my seat :D.

9. kona = Icelandic for woman...

so when you're talking about riding a kona... :meh:

:smug:

10. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I don't race anymore, but I got into the training habbit over 6 years of racing and its a difficult habbit to shake. Typically its five rides a week, sometimes six. Tend to mix 2 turbo training sessions with 3 XC rides (or 2 XC and one DH). I rack up the miles is the best way of putting it !

The singlespeed is a specific s/s frame with good old 853 tubing (the last 853 frame that on-one sold). Runs a 3" travel fork up front, 2.1" tyres and a 32*16 (or 2 to 1) gear ratio.

I ride it to put some of the challenge back into MTB riding. With gears I can get up just about every climb there is over here (and a typical ride will have an 800 vertical feet climb - sometimes over 1200 feet) but not on the singlespeed. I can go out one day feeling lousy and get up a climb that the the day before when I was riding well I didn't get up.

They rule on most singletrack too as they just leap out of corners and flow really well. They teach you to keep up momentum so when I jump back on my geared bikes I can really rip !

No one has ever completed the 43 mile race on a singlespeed (well, actually I'm the only person to try it). I got close last year but my freehub destroyed itself 2/3 of the way through. I'll finish this year though. I'm aiming for a finish in the top half of the field.

They aren't for everyone - which is another good reason to ride one.

No pictures of my new bike but there are some more of my first singlespeed on www.singlespeedworld.com

The 83 mile ride was cool - as we cruised back to the end of the ride I wanted to go buy some carbos, stuff 'em down and go out and nail another 17 miles. We only had four breaks, one for lunch and the others were for punctures.

Keep on spinning !

Johnny G

11. I have a great respect for the guys riding S/S on technical singletrack. Pretty challenging type of riding. One of these days I might get a S/S bike if I can ever convince myself to go back to a hardtail....;) As for now, I'm very happy with my 39 Lb, 5" and 5" travel freeride/DH bike, although long XC-type climbs bite.... Been doing lift assisted DH lately, though....
    Hey Smash, what have you had to repair? Better get used to breaking stuff if you're riding technical terrain....:D. For example, I managed to fold my front wheel today. Went off the line on a steep pitch and brought up solid on a stump. Didn't hurt myself, but getting a new wheel was a bit of a hit to the old wallet...
    Trashed a rear derailleur earlier this week...
    It never ends. ;) I'm such a hack!

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Whoa, a derailleur and a wheel in one week... Ouch:eek:

13. :D

14. 40 miles isnt that far especially for a mountain bike:confused:

i can bike that easy on my BMX, like right now i could just straight giver and do that no problem....maybe you old fogies find it more difficult though;) :p :D

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Depends on the terrain - 40 miles at 5mph average on technical hilly trails will take you all day no matter what bike you ride and you'll be pushing your BMX bike up those hills with the stiff gearing. 40 miles on the flats with slick tires and a big ring will take you a couple of hours and I'll still kick your young squirrely a$$...:D

DD

16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Same here - I ride and train with a guy who has raced solely singlespeed (in regular sport and expert categories) as well as in 24-hour races over the last few years and he has consistently kicked my ass. Mind you, he weighs about 50 lbs less than I do (I'm 200 and he's about 150).

It's all about the gearing tho - and he runs different gear combos to suit the course.

DD

17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    100 miles off road or on?

Last few years I've done an annual road ride that's just over 200 miles (346km to be exact) - ride 100 miles one way, stay overnight, ride back the next day - takes about 5 hours each way (with 2000 other riders).

Longest planned off-road event that I've done is a 60km (40 miles) enduro. Longest unplanned off-road ride I've done was from Hamilton, Ontario to Niagara Falls, Ontario and back along the Bruce Trail and back in one day....not sure of the exact distance but it was about 120km (75 miles) or so.

DD