Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big $ / £ basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovetool, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Check this out....

Bass Surgery

Big $/£ basses, no? This guy makes everything, nothing bought in! I spoke to him at a music show in the UK in December, turns out he's an ex dental surgeon, he tried to convince me that everything else out there was **** and everyone should be aiming to buy a bass like this, I thought he was full of ****, in a nice way because he was a pleasent sort of bloke.
    His basses looked great, massive attention to detail but I didn't see him as an innovator or craftsman for the right reasons, it all seemed to be about making something expensive for the sake of it, I have more respect for the makers of Benavante, Fodera etc
    These things are £7000 or about $1350, thats big money either side of the pond, when I spoke to him he hadn't sold one, wonder why?
    Last but not least, they sounded very average too!

Tony

2. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok, I checked out the site a bit, very nice basses ...gorgeous infact, IMO...but I agree with you totally about making the Basses for the wrong reasons...just to look good...and look at the messed up top-frets, that can't be very functional, and what moron would have the odasity to say his is better than "all the other **** out there".

Now as for the price...

7000 british pounds is actually $13,040.21 US

and $17,536.70 for us frost-bitten Canadian boys & girls

(then come the taxes and over-seas shipping)

Might as well buy a new boat.

I'd have to hear it to believe it's worth that much...but the bass would look sweet on my living-room wall...hahaha

Introvox

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    "Beautifully Stupid......."
    J.J.Hucke (J.J.Guitars)

on his quotes page... I know they have their slang in England, but can any of you English guys tell me if thats really a good thing? I dunno sounds like someone was mocking him to me lol

4. Introvox

Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice find....it's what we're all thinkin' isn't it...I still want to hear from a Brit, but I'm pretty sure it was a dis, and this guy's too stupid to realize it.

if you tell him the bass tone is "amazingly inferior", he'd probably post that too...

5. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    "Beautifully stupid" definitely sounds like a back-handed compliment to me. If people are stupidly rich enough to buy them, fair enough.

The big question I have is how do they sound compared to a Wish :D?

And if you gave Wish $13000 and told him to call you when it was done, how would the result compare to this? (And would it have a truss rod?).

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ah, a former dental surgeon, eh? well, that explains the price.

putting anything in the neck is a bad idea, imo, although if it's just leds, it's probably no worse than having led position markers in the instrument. still, having a section of the neck compromised in such a way can't be good for stability.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'd never heard of these at all, so I was intrigued - but it all strikes me as a big joke!!

So - the web page basically juxtaposes a big sign saying BS (Bull****?) next to copy that says :

"Utilizing 30 years of dental technology..." :D

I mean - this cannot be serious!! If I was writing a spoof webpage (Spinal Tap for luthiers?) I could not do better than this!! ;)

No wonder he hasn't sold one yet!!

8. Bruce Lindfield

As a PS - I Just could not take this para seriously :

"So many instruments are built in the wrong environment. Luckily my workshop is my old dental lab, which has air conditioning, central heating and a carpet on the floor! Not a garage which would be damp and cold!! So the timber is not sat in the damp but in warm dry conditions."

:D

Oh that must be what makes them worth so much then......:meh:

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its not a pisstake. i spoke to the guy at music live 2003. was quite interesting basses. but as the guy above said, they sounded average.

10. speaking from my experience in manufacturing, lack of climate control is probably the second cause of product failure behind human error. that may seem negligible at first read, but that comes before faulty parts and faulty process. only workers not following directions causes more product failure than lack of climate control.

robb.

11. Bruce Lindfield

You've missed my point - so I just think it's funny how he gets dentistry into everything and makes it appear like the fact he was a dentist is the reason his basses are so great!! ;)

12. Bruce Lindfield

But I was just saying that the fact his website reads like a spoof may have something to do with why he hasn't sold any basses ......apart from the huge price tag of course!! ;)

13. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    "the fact he was a dentist is the reason his basses are so great"

I wonder if he tests them by playing Cliff Burton's Pulling Teeth (Anesthesia) solo? ;)

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    They remind me a little of some basses I used to see around occasionally made by a luthier called Richard Eccles. They were extremely cool-looking basses with all custom hardware and pickups, and the body and neck were all carved from the same piece of wood, no neck joint at all, the ultimate through neck! :D

I wonder what happened to him... his basses were great.

Russ :bassist:

15. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If i had more money than i cared about, i'd prolly buy one. But i'd have a different headstock put on it. If nothing else, they are pretty.

16. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    I love how on the website before he states the price he tries to justify it.

Fodera/MTD doesnt have to put that kind of groveling on there website because when you look at them you say, "wow that really does look like its 4-6K"

17. Am I the only one who noticed the noose in the Prices section and the News and Reviews section???:confused: :confused: :confused:

18. whats up with tge last frets, they just turn they couldnt be used, is it for artistic effect or something?

19. Once upon a time in the UK we had a national Health Service that meant you could have your teeth sorted for a reasonable £ if needed, this may seem strange if you live outside the UK! Over the years this system has turned to crap and private, faschist dentists now cream large parts of the population in order for them to succesfully chew their food! As a result, one such privateer now makes very expensive basses, marketed with a nice website and advertising in UK mags, so what if he doesn't sell any, he made enough out of his previous career to finance his pipe dream and any potential customers were cleaned out last time they had some treatment!

The guy from Lightwave pick ups was around the stand a lot, they are probably onto a good thing with this guy, "charge him top dollar for all the gear he buys, he can afford it, look how much he charges for his basses!

I met him at Music Live 2003 and he was a nice bloke, he tried very hard to convince me that this was the way to go, I was probably the wrong person to talk too as I'd spent a lot of the day on the GB stand playing £2000 / £3000 basses that blew everyone away, no comparison, no contest, the luthier beats the dentist hands down!

Politically correct rant over!

Tony

20. Here's one:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=553&item=3755143663&rd=1

and only £25000.

-Geoff