1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Big Al for Big Al!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ritterbass, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Hey I just picked me up a Big Al making it my 4th Musicman bass... I gotta say so far I'm quite impressed overall. the neck is thin and fast. The action was great for me right out of the case! Playability wise again awesome, I am able to get around it pretty well. The neck pup was getting in the way a bit initially for me but not for long, again you just adjust to compensate and get really comfortable which wasn't hard for me to do with this beast, it's quite comfortable. Construction is as you'd expect from EB.

So far no button malfunctions. As far as tone goes DAMN! I gotta say they nailed a perfect P and J bass tone without it actually being either. Now some P and J hot heads who have boutique yadda yadda might be super picky on it but truly for a mid ranged priced production bass, it's awesome to have both tones all in one. I can't say it sounds like a Sting Ray or Sterling of which both have their own distinctive sounds, which are great but whatever right? The Big Al wasn't really intended to be just another Ray and the tonal versatility as many already know here, is pretty vast for all the stuff you can fool around with.

As far as the passive/active volumes and headroom wise are concerned, I do find there isn't too much difference between them...This isn't a bad thing in the slightest though as I am satisfied so far with both but at this point I'm leaning a bit more towards it's passive modes just cause for right now that is what is doing it for me. I assure you though this thing is powerful and you WILL! be heard in whatever mode you choose. I have yet to take it out to a band rehearsal or show as I just got it last week.

Perhaps at tomorrow night's show hehehe! but I might save it for later. Anyways I'll update with more feedback/videos/sound clips later but for right now I'm diggin it and as I should, after all now having a quality bass named after me, even as a nick name "Big Al" as well, is pretty cool! :D:D

100_2142.
    100_2143.
    100_2144.
    100_2149.
    100_2150.

2. hehe, i still cant get over the shape but that colour combo (strap included) looks sick

id be tempted if i had loads of cash LOL but my basses are fine for me :) (damn the wife got through to me after all :()

3. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Yeah I'd say when I first saw the pics for it when it was still up in the air of which shape they were going to go with, I gotta admit I wasn't too crazy initially but then I thought well what the hell, they had their reasons I guess for going with it and making it different than just easily rehashing some direct P or J knock off shape. At least with this, we got something in the line up that is different. Who knows maybe that is exactly why they chose that shape as well, was to throw a curve ball and that only true serious EB fans would be interested...Anyways the reasons are whatever, ultimately here it is and I actually don't mind it cause for what it puts out there for an odd shape, it definitely makes up for in playability and quality.

As for the color yeah it's pretty sick. This one came into the store I go to here as floor stock. If I had ordered it specifically, I'd have prolly went with a black one, tort guard, maple board with matching painted headstock. But I'm digging this for sure...My SR5 is this same pearl blue color as this, so I was like meh I already like this color anyways...And actually that strap was on that SR 5, just moved it over here for now..lol :D:D

4. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    very nice! Hope those buttons don't malfunction on you at least for a long long time since i have heard it happens occasionally. I love the blue color. Excellent choice- happy jammin!:hyper::bassist:

5. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Thanks man! yeah I'm trying to use the buttons sparingly knowing of the possible problems...Again knock on wood that mine will be alright. I look forward to using it live who knows maybe this weekend.:D

6. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Nice bass; that strap looks great with it. Rock on! :)

7. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Nice bass, does she get a good burp w/ the bridge coil soloed?

8. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Thanks man yeah that strap is quite catchy. I have had it for several years and it looks good on my other SR 5 as well.:)

9. Enjoy the nice bass!

10. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    The bridge pick-up soloed does get a good burp. I gotta say I was definitely impressed with it simply cause I have a few other basses with J pups in the bridge that do sound good but this one seems to punch through and still sound distinctive to this bass.

It's hard to describe but it definitely punches through on it's own where as the others, even 18 volt run EMG J's in the bridge still fall a bit short, as well as my Duncan quarter pound loaded Geddy Lee. Now I do love the Geddy Lee as well for what it does but again this is a different beast. It sounds as rich and present as the one in the video of that guy at bass central demoing this bass. It's definitely worth a check out at the very least.