Big Al question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Yeah, yeah... I know, I should be the guy answering these questions, not asking them - but here goes.

I used to only play active basses. Always unplugged them when using them in my studio. Started using passive basses all the time. Never unplug them. Now I switched back to using my Big Al a lot. I don't want to unplug it.

[question] If I leave my Big Al in passive mode, will the battery still drain if I leave it plugged in?

I know there's an easy way to find out, but this way is about $5 cheaper.

Please do tell.

2. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Yes

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It should not drain in passive mode. Marcus Miller Jazzes are the only basses I know of with that problem.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The preamp will still be switched on as long as that cable is plugged in.

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The switch is on the jack;
    You could try putting a meter on the battery leads with it in passive mode (and your plug is in) to see if you have a circuit. If so, you will be draining.

But I'd contact EBMM to get the 100% straight skinny.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    Not really answering your question but you could also NOT care and only play the Big AL passive!

(now I believe the battery will drain even in passive mode, I would not take any chance with mine)

7. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    It will drain but you will not know it until you attempt to use the active circuit.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

As far as I know, every pre-amp out there drains when in passive mode. The "on" switch is traditionally located in the jack and not on the active/passive switch.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I confess my ignorance, however, I have always unplugged my active basses, whether they had a bypass or not, so I never had a battery go dead from being plugged in.

10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Active/passive switches bypass the preamp circuit; they do not turn it off. Left plugged in, your Big Al's battery will drain.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is interesting because I often used the bypass to conserve my battery when playing at home. I might as well had not bothered. Brad Johnson always said that one might as well go active at home. As usual, Brad is right.;)

12. I don't know anything about Big Al bass output/active-passive jacks, just that I want a Big Al bass!

Mr_O'B likes this.
  13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I believe there's still one here in the classifieds, and a couple on ebay

14. Caca - I'm dead broke, now, but thanks for the heads up.:thumbsup:

Caca de Kick likes this.