1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BIG AMP POLL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DAcat, Apr 8, 2010.

1. MESA BOOGIE TITAN V12

18.5%
  2. GENZ BENZ GBE1200

5.6%
  3. AGUILAR DB750

57.4%
  4. CARVIN B1500

7.4%
  5. MESA BOOGIE CARBINE M9

11.1%
  1. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    BIG AMP POLL: WHILE I'M WAITING FOR MY MESA BOOGIE TITAN V12 TO ARRIVE, I THOUGHT I'D INQUIRE...IF YOU'VE TRIED THE TITAN V12 AND AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING AMPS, WHICH DO YOU PREFER AND WHY? I KNOW I'VE LEFT MANY FINE AMPS OUT, BUT THE POLL WOULD HAVE BECOME UNMANAGABLE, THANKS...PEACE...DAcat :cool:

1) MESA BOOGIE TITAN V12

2) GENZ BENZ GBE1200

3) AGUILAR DB750

4) CARVIN B1500

5) MESA BOOGIE CARBINE M9

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've played with both the Titan, and the M6 Carbine, (close enough to the M9?)-(it is tonally), and greatly preferred the Titan's sound. In fact, if the Titan didn't have so many knobs, I would've bought one 4 yrs ago. But man, that amp can snarl with the best of 'em. The clean tone isn't as snappy as the Carbine, but still has alot of punch, but the o/d on that amp is an angry dwarf with a big hammer.

3. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I own the M9 and the Big Block750 which is a Titan with less power and features. They are very different tonally and hard to compare. I would take the Carbine over the Big Block but the Carbine against the Titan might be another story! Hmmmmmmmm :)

4. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I didn't vote because I've chosen both the GBE-1200 and M9 Carbine (M6 too, for that matter) over the Titan. The M-Pulse stuff just isn't my sound... too squishy in my band mix.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I voted the Aggie. I played the Titan, the Aggie, the M6 Carbine, the B800 Carvin, and various GB heads.

The Aggie just impressed me the most with it's girth. The Carvin was really impressive for bang for buck. The Carbine is very different sounding than the Aggie. The Titan was a bit too murky for my tastes. GB heads never hit me over the head, but I like them the more time I spend with them ...but I like an amp that hits me over the head when I plug in.

6. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    There seems to be a lot of love by the Auilar DB750 owners going on, but I've only heard one comment so far from you as to why...care to let us all know why you feel that way...Thanks, DAcat :cool:

7. Why are you SHOUTING?????

Paul

8. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey Raul... I'm not shouting...I'm actually a very quiet :bag: person...but I'm also a little creative :smug: and get bored :rollno:easily :oops: with just writing in the same old style all the time and in real life change it up all the time as well...Hope it did'nt hurt your ears...LOL :D ...Peace...DAcat :cool:

9. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Well... at this point the DB750 is doing even Better than I expected...56% for the Aggi DB750 vs 15% for the Titan V12 in second place...Peace...DAcat :cool:

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well bear in mind you could still as easily hate a db750 as love it. same with all these amps. picking out an amp is pretty personal. opinions of amps and tonal descriptions seem to be pretty consistent on here, though, so you can probably narrow down your choices by looking up threads on them, but everyone could love the db750 and give you good reasons to love it and you could still prefer the genz benz. or one of the boogies. or the carvin.

ok, maybe not the carvin ;) i've heard it and it's a nice amp for the money but hey...

11. Tough choice but I have to go for the Titan V12.

Even though MESA amps are really pricey over here in the UK I would have saved for one a while ago if it was'nt for my love of all-tube heads. These are all great amps but man!!! I love 'dem tubes.

12. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    I love the DB750/751 the most - sound excellent right out of the box. How ever it does not cover all the different sound that I use.

If I were to only have one, it would be the B1500. It's the easiest to get to all the sound that I use all with just one head.

13. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I voted M9, its what I play. I definitely prefer SS tone compared to tube. I've played through most of mesa line of heads and it was the only one that really wowed me. I like the carvin too, but I don't think had anything on the M9.

14. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have to admit that even though I've just got a Mesa Boogie Titan V12 on the way, the DB750 and Mesa Carbine M9 are very intriguing amps that I'd love to demo some day...Peace...DAcat :cool:

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I really doubt that those 23 DB750 voters have tried a Titan in a live context. Let's see some replies to go with those votes :D

I've tried two of these, Titan and DB750, and for me the Titan is the easy choice on tone, mix presence, and versatility. The DB659/750 sounds amazing solo (or in your favorite shop), but was a real let down for me with the band.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have actually gigged with all of the heads mentioned in the poll, and I was able to get extremely good results out of all of them. IME/IMHO, there isn't a single "best" option out of the bunch of them. They are all highly capable, and I think that it boils down to personal preference/style, and your associated equipment (bass & cabs).

Sorry for the wishy washy answer, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

17. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I should have made it clear in the poll initally, but I also think its fine to vote for more than one head-or all of them...Peace...DAcat :cool:

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ah, then put me down for all of them (since the poll itself won't let you do that). :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :cool:

19. There is a question current on another thread asking about a GK2000RB.

Not viewed as in this class?