Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BIG AMP ROBLEM!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i have a rouge 200 watt head, going parallel into a cab. the max load is 4ohms. After 20 minutes of playing, my set goes all staticy, and you can barely hear anything. My set is
    head
    cab
    ---u-----u---
    dist. zoom
    bass
    please give me suggestions to stop the crackle, i think it may be the wire, but im not sure, HELP!
    gig next week! :confused:

2. Well, BIG AMP PROBLEMS should probably be handled in the BIG AMP FORUM...

3. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Well ill get my BIG butt over there

4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    The problem is that it's a Rogue amp. :eek: It's probably overheating, and consequently unable to deliver enough power due to its substandard components. How long have you had it? MF has a 40 day money back if I recall correctly.

5. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i know the head sux, and it even smells too. but its all i have for now, i have to deal with it. the eq actually is pretty god, so is the compression. but i dont think it is the amp, it sounds like when your on a walkie talkie and you break up, thats wat the sound is like.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If you think it's the cable, try another one. But in an electronic device, if it works for a while, and then starts to manfunction, I often suspect heat.

Rogue amps are not well regarded here. I bought one a while back and it was not packed properly by MF, so naturally it didn't work.

If you recently got this amp, maybe it's not too late to return it.

Otherwise, I suspect you will need it to be repaired with MF warranty service.

Best advice I can give you is to get rid of that thing, asap, and get another amp. Seriously, just about any other brand will do.

7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Well, does it start making the walkie talkie noises when you start playing through it, or only after you've been playing for a while? If #2 is your case, it's the amp "crapping out."

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heck after ten minutes, my "Computer amp" Rogue starts to static out, and becomes finicky.

To keep my good name: it was my first amp, and was bought for me by my mom for Christmas, right after I got my bass. Ain't it funny though...a Rogue and an Eden rig in the same house! Actually though, my Crate B80XL is my practice rig. My Rogue serves as a smaller alternative, when I'm just plinking along on the net, and need a bit of volume, or am recording riffs on my computer using a mic placed right in front of the Rogue....sad, hu?

9. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Jesus, Gabu, is that you?

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I think so.

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Make sure you use a speaker cable to connect the cab to the head (and not an instrument cable)!

Maybe you're just asking too much from your amp: high volume AND (too) much bass will make your amp reach it's limit earlier.
    If your cab is rated 8 Ohms, your amp will only put out ~120 Watts - that's not too much...

Matthias

12. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    i should definatley change the cable, im usin a fender isntrument cable, not a speaker cable, ill get a pair of mars cables. there great

13. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Definitely! I bet the smell probably came from your melting instrument cable.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I take it you don't like "the Rogue sound."

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    nothin like answering your own question, eh?

16. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't know why, but this completely cracks me up!!

-robert

17. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    The rouge sound..... i probably get better bottom end deep sound taking a crap. What was i thinking? rouge............:(

18. A pair of cables? You should only be using one cable to connect your head to your cabinet.

19. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    So let's see if I understand: You're playing through the cheapest bass amp known to man and you're running it into a speaker cab with an instrument cable? And it doesn't sound so good? Hmmm. That's a real mystery, allright.