Big amp vs. PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Atshen, Aug 5, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Some excellent comments.

I was running out of stage volume running 400w against two guitars, a loud drummer and percussionist, sax and vocals. I thought 400w would be enough. Anyway, I stepped up to 900w and two 4x10 cabs and I'm loving life. On the one hand sound people have the benefit of hearing things out in the room -- on the other, they may or not be competent and may or may not care much about your bass sound. Maybe I'm just narcisistic, but it's hard to make the folks out there groove if I'm not feeling the thump myself, so count me among those who would prefer to pump out as much stage volume as is compatible with a good overall mix...

:)

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Right on, SecretDonkey.

Its better to be overpowered than underpowered. I haul my rack and two 4x10's to each gig. Sometimes, I'll only take in ONE 4x10, but the other one is there IF I need it. If its an easy load-in and if the stage is big enough, I usually bring it all in "just in case".

If I need all 1500 watts from my 6 space rack, I have it. If the PA is jammin', I just turn it down onstage and let the PA do the work, but I have all the extra gas I need at my fingertips if the acoustices are such that I'm fighting the drummer and guitarists to hear myself.

Flexibility, man. Flexibility.