1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

big audition tomorrow ! any tips ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-bass-kreep, Apr 11, 2006.

1. hello , after playing for 4 years and never getting payed for it .. an oportunity has come up ; one of the best cover-band in my city is looking for a bass player , they offer 2 to 3 gigs a week and good pay (600 - 700 pesos about 65 bucks per gig )

the drummer (owner of the group) came to check me out at a gig last thursday . he then called me and told me to go this wensday he gave me 5 songs to learn from ballads- to ska with slaps .

I feel that im ready but any last minute tips would be greatly apreciated.

2. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    They've heard you play, so know you've got those skills. I'll assume you've got the 5 songs down cold - you're gonna walk in and nail them first time.

They're inviting you over to check _YOU_ out, not your playing. They're going to be spending 4 nights a week with you for the next few year and want to know you're not a jerk:

Turn up on time. Be polite. Bring the right gear - enough to get a good sound, but not so they think you'll need your own van to get to gigs. Listen to what they tell you AND follow their playing. Make eye contact while you're playing. Be ready to talk about what you want to get out of the band (sugguestions for new songs, places to play - but nothing too radical... Keen but not pushy).

If they spend an hour with you, and think "gee I'd like to do that again", you'll get the gig, even if there's a better player auditioning.

Ian

3. Sounds like u got it in the bag, everything Ian said is good advice, just to back it up, be urself be polite and treat them like you would family. They will love u for sure by the sounds of it

4. With money gigs my advice is simple:

1) Show up early.
    2) Smile.
    3) Play the songs to the best of you ability.
    4) Smile.
    5) Stay til the end (of the gig, the rehearsal or session).
    6) Smile.
    7) Spend yer money!

Good luck!