1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Baby II vs Big Twin II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rooibos99, May 17, 2019.

1. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    Hey all, I'm placing an order today with barefaced and I'm super conflicted on which of these cabs I should go with. I think the Big Baby II would suffice for 80-90% of my needs. I'm like getting a bergantino B amp (700w @ 4ohm, ???w @ 8ohm) or Forte HP (1200w @ 4ohm, 600w @ 8ohm) head to go with it so I think I'd have the ability to add a second BB2 down the road if one isn't loud enough.

On the other hand the Big Twin II would leave me with a cab that I highly doubt I would ever use in a situation where it couldn't keep up. Plus its just badass looking (not that the big baby isn't).

So whats the wisest choice here? A Cab thats just right 90% of the time and might not cut it for the other 10%. Or a cab thats overkill but would never leave me wanting for volume ever again?

I'm a bass gear noob though I've been playing for years, I don't know how to gauge the volume differences of these two amp. Does anyone who has both have an opinion on the difference in capabilities between these two? I play music like surf rock, noise rock, stoner rock. I don't get insanely loud but I don't shy away from volume either. The biggest show I've ever played was 200 people, but I am planning on playing more shows in the future which might be outdoors.

-Calvin

Turbo Sparky likes this.
  2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    The wisest choice is to email Alex at BF and tell him your story. You'll get good advice about the right move for you.

HolmeBass, mmbass21, Loopy3 and 6 others like this.
  3. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    I have been emailing Alex for the past week or so and he's been an absolute champ dealing with my 8 billion questions. He's helped me figure out that I DON'T want a tube amp and I DEFINITELY want either a big baby II or big twin II. I personally enjoy hearing as many opinions as possible when I buy music gear, in fact before I drop the cash on anything musical I generally do a preemptive "X cabs/amps suck" google search just to see what the naysayers have to spit about it. Gotta say I can't find a truly negative opinion of Barefaced anywhere.

chris_b likes this.
  4. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    . . . . and you won't get one from me.

I'm currently gigging the Super Compact and Super Midget. IMO my best sound so far. I'm preferring the 12" cabs and a modular set up, so 2 cabs is the way I'd go.

red_rhino, Silthis89 and Rooibos99 like this.
  5. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    Thats what I can't freakin decide man. Seems like one big twin or two big babys would knock my shoes off. I could probably suffice with a big baby and the right amp but having been chronically under equipped my whole music life I'm feeling the urge to go overboard.

6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've got a bad back, so more small cabs is the way I've had to go. I do a lot of different genres and styles so modular rigs will be more flexible for me. They are also more expensive but that's a choice you have to make.

What cab(s) are you replacing?

7. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    A yorkville bloc 100k keyboard amp.

8. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    OK. I'd suggest that if the Yorkville is covering your bass duties at the moment, a single Barefaced 112 cab with a good 700w-800w amp will be a significant upgrade. A night and day improvement.

I'd pick an amp that puts 500 watts into 8 ohms to get the best out of a single cab.

yellowmiata and Rooibos99 like this.
  9. Those 12's are supposed to supply 2x what a normal neo bass 12 does when driven, would you agree?

10. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    It is covering bass duties in the sense that I chronically have the mids hiked and the bass neutered for the sake of volume. this has covered Rock/ Surf Rock trios for me with house shows and such but the poor thing just can't keep up in bigger venues with no PA support. Its actually an excellent amp just not beefy enough. If you're saying it will be that much of a difference going to a single 12 barefaced I'll take your word for it. I was aiming to get a bergantino head, either B|amp for the new forte HP. Either should cover me I think.

I've read the claims on the site, and I'm not doubting Alexs claims at all. Its just that I am mortified about the idea of upgrading my rig and still not having volume. I have low headroom low power based paranoia now I think.

11. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I have a pair of BB2 cabs but haven't tried the Twin.

For the situations where the BB2 wouldn't be enough, would you have FOH support?

I'd lean toward the less is more side of things, as it is an easier haul and lighter on the wallet. That said, more is more.

chris_b likes this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Alex says of the BB2, "127dB - similar to what a high quality 2x12" or 4x10" cab can manage before the lows fail to keep up with the mids". With reference to the OP's requirements I think a BB2 will cover all his volume expectations and more.

13. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Have you had a look at the Barefaced club thread? There is a lot of experience documented there.

14. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    I have played some very large bars and clubs with no PAs so i am wondering if one BB2 would suffer.

I have actually, Ive scoures this forum and others pretty hard for information. Its hard to decide, I'm sure once I get any of alexs cabs Ill be set!

monsterthompson likes this.
  15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Well, there’s no replacement for displacement. If it’s not a financial restriction go for the bigger cab. You’d rather bring a gun to a knife fight than the other way around.

16. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    this is true but if its a difference between bringing a gun and a bazooka to a knife fight I could be ok with either..

17. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    112 is annoying. It sits too low on the stage, lift it up and you lose all the lows, it just honks all the time... I really dislike these small rigs.

I owned a Big Twin 2 as a first owner. Even with the 212 and me being 198cm tall (internet says 6feet 6inch) I had big trouble hearing any definition out of it when I stood near it. I had to stand at least 1.5meters/5feet (now that I think of it, make it 2 meters at least) from the cab to properly hear its full range. That's why I prefer 810s. Doesn't matter where you stand man, this thing will spit in your face.

Yes, I do realise that an 810 is on the far side of the spectrum compared to a 112. :p Just my 50 cents on it.

18. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    I appreciate the input, if I were only using this cab for bass I might agree. However, I am using loops, a drum machine, various sound effects, on top of bass.

19. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    You mean with the 112 vs 212 thing or the 810?

You will be satisfied with the Barefaced 12 for this purpose, as long as you like having gigantic lows as a bass player. It is amazingly clean, relatively flat and full range. I sold it because I didn't care for such low extension, making basically everything below G on the E string sounding like a gong. The 5th string was nice with that extension though, but I like the compactness of a closed cab much more.

20. Rooibos99

Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    Well I mean I cant really go with their 10cr line as I need the high frequency driver and a more full range speaker. the 10s look awesome tho.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021