Big Baby II vs Big Twin II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rooibos99, May 17, 2019.

1. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    Yeah based on your needs don't even think about their 10s. These are made for a more vintage voicing, more suitable for tube amps.

Their 12s though could be as well used instead of a PA and pull it off like nothing. Not some EV or similar quality but good enough.

OTOH I have already stated a couple of times, had they offered a tweetered 10 series, I might be trying those cabs as well. Until this happens I am going to wait out on the Barefaced hype train.

2. Rooibos99

Rooibos99 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Having played through EVs QSC etc. I'm excited to try whatever cab I get, I have a hunch alex will give them a run for their money

3. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    For all that stuff, get the bigger box. You’re gonna like the extra headroom, particularly with a drum machine assuming you’re running any kind of kick sound, and if you’re doing any deep synth or pad sounds.

I run my BB2 pair as a PA for an ambient synth and sample based project. A single BB2 might get loud enough for much of what I do, but the second cab just opens things up.

P_Robyn and wave rider like this.
  4. Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    You have convinced me! its either two bb2s or one bt2. Cost has become less of a concern, call me crazy but I just hate to go too overboard

5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    The double BB2 rig would let you go stereo with the loops. It opens up options for packing it and storing it. You'd have an option for one cab at home and one at the rehearsal space. If those things are meaningful, they are certainly worth considering.

Lowendtech and P_Robyn like this.
  6. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Yes. I have had many cabs and I will say that my bb2 destroys them all. I replaced two Aguilar db 112 cabs with One Bb2. It really produces more than those two 12s ever did. Lighter and more efficient. It beats out my Eden 410, Ampeg 412,
    Mesa, Markbass...
    So yeah, I'm a believer!

Fafner333 and MDBass like this.
  7. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    This is in fact the best idea for his needs. Would need some mixing though. I wouldn't really like to hear a stereo drum kick, it sounds really confusing. Would require either a stereo amp or two separate amps and a mixing board.

monsterthompson likes this.
  8. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    I would question you on the ampeg 412 part ;)

All of the cabs you mentioned have a drastically different voicing than a BB2 so it is really hard to compare. Aguilar DBs for example will definitely sound warmer with more notable low mids with a lesser treble extension. It might destroy a 2xdb112 volume wise but the dbs will sing more, with more pronounced harmonic detail due to the voicing. It really depends on the taste.

9. Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    In the interest of discussion couldnt a perfect EQ setting compensate for speaker voicing? I am biased because I have always extracted my tone from dials instead of drivers. If the mids sing on the db112 couldnt you just turn the mids up?

10. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    My current rig is a BB II and a SuperTwin. I haven't heard the Big Twin II but imagine it sounds pretty much like my SuperTwin with the added high frequency driver. While the BB II sounds great on its own if I was to only keep one cabinet it would be the SuperTwin. It sounds so much fuller and louder just as you would expect from doubling the speakers. I run each cabinet off one side of a Crest ProLite 3.0 and balance the output from the speakers via my preamp. Generally the balance is biased toward the BB II because of the volume difference between the cabinets. It sounds like for your needs that in the long run you will be happier with the Big Twin II. I think if you get a BB II you will want a second...

MattZilla, P_Robyn and Rooibos99 like this.
  11. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    In order to do that you would need a very precise EQ with loads of bands to emulate a nice response curve. And it would still probably sound un-natural since a lot of the sound comes from the design of the cabinet shell.

It crossed my mind when I still owned my BT2 but realised I would probably have to spend so much for the EQ alone it would be cheaper to just get another cab that works the way I imagine it to.

As I am saying, no need for you to bother yourself with my opinions. You have your own taste and if you feel that it works for you, you have a great deal. A lightweight cab that can get pretty loud providing you with full range. Objectively I will never deny that it is a good cab.

One thing is, if you never tried a full range flat PA-like bass cab, it will take some getting used to. It really doesn't sound or behave like a normal bass cab would. It doesn't have that "butt massaging low mids" from the get go. Some people claim that it does but from my experience it is more from the extensive low end than actual mids.

P_Robyn and monsterthompson like this.
  12. Sparkl

Sparkl

Apr 23, 2011
    Europe
    I would +1 this one.

13. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I think any combination listed will work in the OP, but I think there is something to the "buy once, cry once". If I was in the position I would get the Forte HP and the Big Twin II. Barefaced have relatively high power handling, so give them that. I think you would appreciate the extra headroom that would stay a little cleaner as you get louder. A Big Twin II would be cheaper than 2xBB2, and I prefer loading in one cab, especially if it has kick back wheels.

MattZilla and Rooibos99 like this.
  14. Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    Yeah thats the truth, thats definitely what I want if I'm being honest with myself. The B | amps profiles are super cool, I just wish it had the power of the forte HP. I'm wanting this to be a "buy and forget" rig which would cover 99.99% of my needs indefinitely, makes more sense than having to buy more amp down the road.

Laklandfan and MattZilla like this.
  15. SteveBassJr

SteveBassJr It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Your right, depends on taste. I will say my taste has changed. But, weight and power for me is covered with the bb2. I am going to add a Super midget just because...
    I personally dont want a cab with a voice. I want to make the voice with what I put through it. Flat response for me. I feed it with a clean, clear power amp, real tube pre and some tasty Broughton boxes before it. I can make the cab sound like a Svt or alembic voice if I want. Ymmv.

16. StephenR

StephenR

May 21, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    IMO you shouldn't stress about power alone. Either of the amps you are considering has more than enough to drive a BT II with headroom to spare, the cabinets are very efficient. You should pick an amp based on features and how the preamp in it sounds to you. Lots of choices these day for high power pre/power amps. The Barefaced 12" cabinets are neutral enough that I find having robust control of EQ to be helpful in finding the exact tones you are looking for.

P_Robyn and yellowmiata like this.
  17. yellowmiata

yellowmiata

Apr 29, 2012
    Texas
    I have this rig: the SM + BB2, and I can say it is the best modular pairing for versatility.
    Everything from “carrying on the bus” small, to “biker-bar roaring loud” can be accomplished. I always wonder if the SM is carrying her weight, but the BB2 just carries on regardless of power.

I’d go modular, versatility allows for further expression. And, if anything, Alex is underselling the volume you can coax out of these cabs. Just bring the power and let ‘em loose.
    Kevin

SteveBass5 and P_Robyn like this.
  18. I’m not familiar with barefaced stuff. But In general I’d say go for overkill provided it’s not too difficult for you to move. I went the with the “90%” thinking at one point. Once you play a couple of those 10% gigs you’ll regret that you didn’t get the louder cab.

19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I believe the 4, 6 and 8 10 cabs can be ordered with a tweeter, but not the Two10. . . I asked.

If the OP is moving from a Yorkville combo then the BB2 will be a multiple times upgrade in volume and tone. Moving to the BT2 is like selling your 100cc Honda and getting a Fireblade, or selling the Ford Fiesta and buying a Ferrari to commute to work. Nice move and totally doable, but how does it make sense? If it does make sense, then why ask any questions, do it.

I wonder what Alex's advice was?

20. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    to answer the Original Post: big twin. One cab that'll fit in any car right down to a Suzuki Cappuccino or a Miata, and unless you're playing stonerdoom in a giant abandoned quarry, you're unlikely to run out of headroom.

You really don't need a dedicated bass amp then. You'd probably be better off with a nice PA with a sub and maybe a cool preamp for the bass guitar. I'd probably go with Bose and a darkglass or sansamp.