Big Baby II vs Big Twin II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rooibos99, May 17, 2019.

1. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    I think barefaced make a supertwin with a built in amp so you can use it as a p.a.

2. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    BTII. Bam, done.
    Bf is an OUTSTANDING company. I have, and have played/gigged/rehearsed, the SuperTwin and 610. While my ears have changed and currently use GK, Part of me-the GAS-thinks I should have went with their BTII. Anyway, Barefaced is the "real deal" when it comes to ultra-high quality gear, with a small business acumen for service, advice, and all around bass coolness.
    Just ring them up if you have ANY questions/concerns. In the past I have spoken with "Harry" and "Tom," straight-up no frills. Brighton is +5hrs ahead of EST (U.S.). Add 1 hrs for each time zone in U.S.
    IMO, go for the BTII; better to have it and not "need" it, than to "need" it and not have it.
    Excellent review on the Big Twin II on YT "Guitar Interactive" channel. Wear headphones, you won't be disappointed.
    Good luck.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. mmbass21

mmbass21 Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I've come to prefer modular setups now to suit the size of the venue. I haven't played a BT but I have a 212 cab that I love but it isn't for most of the small bars I play in. There's currently a BB2 on reverb right now that I'm sure won't survive the till the afternoon.

P_Robyn likes this.
  4. SickAura

SickAura Let There Be Rock Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2013
    Toronto-ish
    I firmly believe in 'one cab to rule them all' - AND 'buy once, cry once'...

So Big Twin all the way for me - if it was my money.

You will never need another cab so you will save money in the long run.
    Modular setups with 2 cabs is just another thing to carry.
    Do you want to go up and down the stairs once? Or twice?
    I find 1 cab/1 driver just to be generally lacking vs 2 drivers in a band with a drummer. 2 drivers just always sound better - period
    If you end up playing an acoustic gig you can add a cheap small cab or combo amp that doubles for home practice. Or just bring the twin and turn down

At the less than 50lbs and approx 30" x 20" the Big Twin is not that big and is a no brainer. Do it!

monsterthompson and Thundar like this.
  5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I'd get the Forte HP and BB2 (or Audiokinesis TC112) and see if I need to add a second cab later. But I want to carry as little as possible, if you really think it won't bother you carrying a 212 every time, go with the BT2 and be done with it...

6. Rooibos99

Rooibos99 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Alex suggested I go with a Big Baby II, or a Big Twin II if I ever wanted to be very loud.

P_Robyn, chris_b and monsterthompson like this.
  7. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I'd go with Alex's suggestion, can't go wrong with his advice and he's spot on for your needs. BB2 can get plenty loud, I've had it go toe to toe with Fender Bassman Pro Neo 410 and very close to an Aguilar SL410x. I've since sold the Aggie because I prefer the overall tone of the BB2 along with other cabs that I own. I love BF 10's more right now but I can't imagine parting with the BB2 unless I need the money at some point.

Rooibos99 likes this.
  8. [​IMG]
    This is one hell loud cab from my heyday. MarshalI DBS 412. I can't imagine OP ever needing to be that loud.

SteveBass5 likes this.
  9. Dp1363

Dp1363 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2011
    South Jersey US
    I have two BB2’s. I like being to only bring what I need. I use one for practice which is plenty loud or I can bring both to a gig with or without PA support. I would hate to lug the BTII around if I didn't need that much firepower for just practice or a small gig. Two BB2’s are easier to fit in my SUV. However, as others have said, it does cost more to buy two BB2’s

10. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I believe the Berg B|Amp is about to released as a HP as per the Forté so you may want to wait a bit to check it out.

Rooibos99 likes this.
  11. Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    Do you have a source or any reasoning behind why you think so? I would vastly prefer a B | amp HP over a Forte HP, however I don't want to wait too long to get my rig situated, and Id rather not waste money on a cheap head to tide me over until then. Seriously though the power difference and the vlpf on the forte hp are the only reason I'm weighing it against the B | amp. If the B amp had those features itd be a done deal.

12. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I thought I read it here on TB somewhere. I'll see if I can find it...

Rooibos99 likes this.
  13. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I follow some Berg threads and while people want a B|amp HP I doubt we'll see it in 2019 with the Forte HP shipping out by the end of the month. If it happens it'll be at least for NAMM 2020. From a sales standpoint it doesn't make much sense to release the amps close together.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  14. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Ah ok. Must have gotten my wires crossed. Apologies to the OP. A B|Amp HP would be awesome though.

mmbass21 likes this.
  15. mmbass21

Dec 10, 2016
    Florida
    I'm sure it's in development. Jim is never satisfied. I so want to try the slam of an HP though.

16. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I've been bugging Jim about it as well but he neither confirmed nor denied if a B|Amp HP is on the way or when. I also believe it's coming eventually, but I think it's probably several months from now. When it comes, if money allows then I'll also sell my B|Amp for it, for the time being although I'd love the extra power, I don't want to miss some of the features of the B|Amp for the Forte HP.

mmbass21 likes this.
  17. Rooibos99

Apr 25, 2019
    I am imagining (and hoping) that if I were to get the forte hp or b | amp now I could trade up to a b | amp hp if/when it is a thing.

18. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yeah, as I said in an earlier comment, I'd get the Forte HP if I were you, Alex recommends up to 800W for the BB2 so I think it would make a great small rig that would cover you in most circumstances. And you can always sell it if a B|Amp HP becomes available (which, again, Jim hasn't confirmed - I think his exact words to me were "I'll let the market decide"). Or, if you don't want to lose much on the trade, maybe a used B|Amp for now (if you're feeling lucky and want to bet on the release of a B|Amp HP soon). I'd love to feel the HP, but the B|Amp is still awesome anyway.

19. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I have both a Big Twin II that I got first and a BB2 that I got a couple of months later.

I have to agree with what SparkI says here
    '112 is annoying. It sits too low on the stage, lift it up and you lose all the lows, it just honks all the time... I really dislike these small rigs.
    I owned a Big Twin 2 as a first owner. Even with the 212 and me being 198cm tall (internet says 6feet 6inch) I had big trouble hearing any definition out of it when I stood near it. I had to stand at least 1.5meters/5feet (now that I think of it, make it 2 meters at least) from the cab to properly hear its full range.'

I find that same situation with my BB2 though if It's a smaller venue the BB2 works great ( and I don't hate it really). The BT2 is my preferred cab of the two as I do a mostly reggae gigs and so the heft on the bottom end works out really well with my rig on a gig. Still I have to stand a couple of metres in front of it to get the benefit of the feel low end. If you are in a small./medium rehearsal room the difference between the two is not as great as you would expect but on a gig where you need the meat, the BT2 is your best friend and not just for volume, the depth of sound seems fuller with the twin speaker cab. I have used both cabs on large stages and with a decent PA support and monitors you can get everything done with the BB2 but if you are in a loud band you may not hear and feel and bottom end of the bass from that small cab over the stage volume and monitors. Also I guess it depends what you want from the bottom end find that like Alex suggested, running my amp in bridge mode seems to give me better performance from the cab even at lower volumes. Just don't stand in front of them without ear plugs. I've done numerous reggae gigs without PA support and the Bt2 fills any of the venues with enough bottom end to feel the reggae vibe including a low B.

20. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I have both a Big Twin II that I got first and a BB2 that I got a couple of months later.

I have to agree with what SparkI says here
    '112 is annoying. It sits too low on the stage, lift it up and you lose all the lows, it just honks all the time... I really dislike these small rigs.
    I owned a Big Twin 2 as a first owner. Even with the 212 and me being 198cm tall (internet says 6feet 6inch) I had big trouble hearing any definition out of it when I stood near it. I had to stand at least 1.5meters/5feet (now that I think of it, make it 2 meters at least) from the cab to properly hear its full range.'

I find that same situation with my BB2 though if It's a smaller venue the BB2 works great ( and I don't hate it really).
    The BT2 is my preferred cab of the two as I do a mostly reggae gigs and so the heft on the bottom end works out really well with my rig on a gig. Still I have to stand a couple of metres in front of it to get the benefit of the feel low end.
    If you are in a small./medium rehearsal room the difference between the two is not as great as you would expect but on a gig where you need the meat, the BT2 is your best friend and not just for volume, the depth of sound seems fuller with the twin speaker cab.
    I have used both cabs on large stages and with a decent PA support and monitors you can get everything done with the BB2 but if you are in a loud band you may not hear and feel and bottom end of the bass from that small cab over the stage volume and monitors.
    Also I guess it depends what you want from the bottom end I found that like Alex suggested, running my amp in bridge mode seems to give me better performance from the cab even at lower volumes.
    Just don't stand in front of them without ear plugs.
    I've done numerous reggae gigs without PA support and the Big Twin 2 fills any of the venues with enough bottom end to feel the reggae vibe including anything the low B- string puts out.