Big Baby II vs Big Twin II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rooibos99, May 17, 2019.

1. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I have both a Big Twin II that I got first and a BB2 that I got a couple of months later.

I have to agree with what SparkI says here
    '112 is annoying. It sits too low on the stage, lift it up and you lose all the lows, it just honks all the time... I really dislike these small rigs.
    I owned a Big Twin 2 as a first owner. Even with the 212 and me being 198cm tall (internet says 6feet 6inch) I had big trouble hearing any definition out of it when I stood near it. I had to stand at least 1.5meters/5feet (now that I think of it, make it 2 meters at least) from the cab to properly hear its full range.'

I find that same situation with my BB2 though if It's a smaller venue the BB2 works great ( and I don't hate it really).
    The BT2 is my preferred cab of the two as I do a mostly reggae gigs and so the heft on the bottom end works out really well with my rig on a gig. Still I have to stand a couple of metres in front of it to get the benefit of the feel low end.
    If you are in a small./medium rehearsal room the difference between the two is not as great as you would expect but on a gig where you need the meat, the BT2 is your best friend and not just for volume, the depth of sound seems fuller with the twin speaker cab.
    I have used both cabs on large stages and with a decent PA support and monitors you can get everything done with the BB2 but if you are in a loud band you may not hear and feel and bottom end of the bass from that small cab over the stage volume and monitors.
    Also I guess it depends what you want from the bottom end I found that like Alex suggested, running my amp in bridge mode seems to give me better performance from the cab even at lower volumes.
    Just don't stand in front of them without ear plugs.
    I've done numerous reggae gigs without PA support and the Big Twin 2 fills any of the venues with enough bottom end to feel the reggae vibe including anything the low B- string puts out.

2. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I have both a Big Twin II that I got first and a BB2 that I got a couple of months later.

I have to agree with what SparkI says here
    '112 is annoying. It sits too low on the stage, lift it up and you lose all the lows, it just honks all the time... I really dislike these small rigs.
    I owned a Big Twin 2 as a first owner. Even with the 212 and me being 198cm tall (internet says 6feet 6inch) I had big trouble hearing any definition out of it when I stood near it. I had to stand at least 1.5meters/5feet (now that I think of it, make it 2 meters at least) from the cab to properly hear its full range.'

I find that same situation with my BB2 though if It's a smaller venue the BB2 works great ( and I don't hate it really).
    The BT2 is my preferred cab of the two as I do a mostly reggae gigs and so the heft on the bottom end works out really well with my rig on a gig. Still I have to stand a couple of metres in front of it to get the benefit of the feel low end.
    If you are in a small./medium rehearsal room the difference between the two is not as great as you would expect but on a gig where you need the meat, the BT2 is your best friend and not just for volume, the depth of sound seems fuller with the twin speaker cab.
    I have used both cabs on large stages and with a decent PA support and monitors you can get everything done with the BB2 but if you are in a loud band you may not hear and feel and bottom end of the bass from that small cab over the stage volume and monitors.
    Also I guess it depends what you want from the bottom end I found that like Alex suggested, running my amp in bridge mode seems to give me better performance from the cab even at lower volumes.
    Just don't stand in front of them without ear plugs.
    I've done numerous reggae gigs without PA support and the Big Twin 2 fills any of the venues with enough bottom end to feel the reggae vibe including anything the low B- string puts out.

3. Rooibos99

Rooibos99 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Big Twin II just ordered.... shag me I'm excited. Per Alex's advice I am going to take the cab up to a few different shops and friends houses to figure out what amp to match it with.. Jeez its actually ordered I'm going to puke when it gets here. Hopefully the customs don't screw me too bad but, oh well probably worth it.

4. Decision made! I think you are going to find you over overkilled it as soon as you plug in 800w. Remember earplugs always.

mmbass21 and Rooibos99 like this.
  5. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Everything louder than everything else.
    E9559191-A5CB-489B-AA68-75258969025D.jpeg

mmbass21 and Rooibos99 like this.
  6. Rooibos99

Rooibos99 Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2019
    I doubt I will feel this way next party I throw or wharehouse gig I play, but duly noted earplugs. I did want something that would cover anything I throw at it, so I guess overkill is in store 8) thanks for your help!

mmbass21 likes this.
  7. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    My situation was more a choice about the Super Twin, since I knew I didn't need horn\tweeter. I eventually went with the Super Twin over a small cab because, as I've always told my customers when I was a sales man, when you buy to get by you lose money. The $1400 or whatever it was for my ST wasn't pocket change, but it has cured my GAS for ever needing another cab for anything else. It is small enough to fit in my den or on a smaller stage, works just fine at low volumes, is light enough to lift with one hand, and powerful enough to keep up with an Ampeg 810. I get so many compliments on my tone.
    Look at it this way. $1550 now for a Big Twin is still cheaper than $2000 later if you decide you want two Big Baby cabs.