1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big bass mistake in Soundgarden's My Wave

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tupac, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011

In the outro, they're playing in 3/4, and Ben Shepard's riff is of course also in 3/4. But at 4:31, he plays a fill that's one beat too long, and it offsets him for the rest of the song. At 4:44 he makes the same mistake and is offset again. His final fill at 4:55 is in 3/4 at least.

2. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    I don't think it's necessarily a mistake.

I think they were going for a generally ambiguous/superimposed feel there anyway. The 4/4 guitar riff continues in 4/4, the bass player plays 10 bars of 3, one bar of 4. The drummer accentuates 3 some of the time and floats over the phrases elsewhere.

Your mileage may vary, but I deal with the jazz/improvisational world on a regular basis and some amount of grey area is embraced there. So, that may be influencing my take on this. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Tupac likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Yeah, I don't hear that as a "mistake" at all, I hear it as clever (and intentional) use of polymeter.

4. ^ I don't hear it as a mistake either, and I think you're right on the use of polymeter. Soundgarden is a really tight band, and I don't think Ben screws up much ... especially on #1 hits.