Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Bass Player coming to my house

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by belair57, May 21, 2001.

1. This bass player from france is coming to my house some time this week. His name is Dominique DiPiazza. I've never heard him but he's supposed to be really good. I've heard a lot about him. He's gonna show me some stuff and give me a lesson or something. I can't wait.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He plays bass on most of the tracks on John McLaughlin's album "Que Alegria" and I must say that I was very impressed with his playing and bass tone. One track on the album is a solo bass piece tha he wrote! And anyone who has played in a trio with McLaughlin has got to be the "real deal" as I'm sure he wouldn't choose anyone who was less than "awesome"! ;)

I don't know anything else about him, though and would be interested to find out more - and a lesson sounds like it will be a great experience - let us know how it goes - maybe you could ask him about what it was like to work with John McLaughlin?

3. Well, he's coming because of my church. He became a Christian about 6 or 7 years ago and goes to a church in Nime, France that's affiliated with my church. He's visiting my church for the week. The leader of the church band, Dr. Lewis, told me he was coming and set up the whole lesson thing. He's gonna be playing in church this wednesday night. He's gonna do a couple solos. I can't wait.

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Dominique Di Piazza took something like a "retreat" from bass playing a few years ago and recently came back to it.
    He released a new CD recently titled "Front Page", with Birelli Lagrène (guitar) and Denis Chambers (drums).
    He's famous here in France (amongst musicians) and he's a real virtuoso.
    He seems to be a nice guy. He had several article in our own french "Bass Magazine".
    He has some sort of special technique of pizzicato (with thumb and pointing finger)
    IMHO, you are VERY lucky, Belair57 !
    :)
    [​IMG]

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Bireli Lagrene is another great musician - I've got an album called "Spaces Revisisted" by Larry Coryell, on which plays - I really like this and there's some amazing musicianship. It's a two guitar quartet with Richard Bona on bass and Billy Cobham on drums.

As to the "special technique of pizzicato (with thumb and pointing finger)" - a lot of bass players do this! I do it myself, but I'm nowhere near the standard of Dominique! ;)

6. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Please excuse my poor vocabulary (and my total lack of pizzicato technique ;) ).
    I meant special as kind of unique.
    As he's using it ... well ... in a very impressive manner.
    I would like to see him live.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´ve got a video with him in my pc, that´s really cool

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man belair very cool! Iam impressed! As a very young boy i was around several famous bass players because my father was on the road running lights for shows! I met lynerd skynerd, led zepplin ,janis joplin ,cream,! Just wish i was old enough back then to take it serious! I wish i could have been my age now and played bass for 20 years like i have now to talk with these guys! But it all paid off later in life when i was playing in a club in fayettville ar and got to open for several big acts like pearl jam, sound garden,megadeath,warrent(HEHE) and blind melon! But the coolist was when we was there and i met with with stephan lessard of dave mathews band! Very nice guy very nutts! We talked and jammed together a bit and he showed me some jazz scales i didnt know and i showed him some slap that he didnt know and it was a hell of a great time! The only thing i came out of that with regret was i didnt talk him out of hes myers sound gear! have fun dude it will be a blast!