Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Ben as a stand alone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BillyB_from_LZ, Feb 17, 2003.

1. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've got an old Acoustic 450 head that is just laying around with nothing to do. It got me thinking about putting together some sort of old school type rig.

I was leaning toward a 2x15 but then thought about the Big Ben. It would be something that I could also use with my other gear for huge low end.

How would Benny boy sound by himself? Are there enough mids and highs for decent '70s tone with a P Bass?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. well, I never tried for the 70's sound, but a Big Ben makes a fine stand-alone cab. I used it as both the fundamental for my triamp system and as a piece all on its lonesome. I never had a proble m with a lack of mids and I got PLENTY of highs. you should be able to sculpt the sound you want if you've got the head that normall gives you that tone, I should think...

from the low end,

Stew

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pretty darn good. And yes, you can get the P Bass thang with it really effectively. I use to break mine out with one of my pre-CBS P's and a Mesa Boogie 400+ and, man, retro thump all over the place. Sits well in the mix with a band, too.

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    If you get one I'm going to be jealous... :)

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Not exactly a "P" bass, but I run a heavily modified Yamaha
    RBX260F (with T/I Flats :D ) through a Mesa Buster head into
    a BigBen.

Even my lame Billy Sheehan imitation (tapping harmonics) comes
    through loud and clear (a little high boost on the graphic doesn't hurt).

Can't really get past 6 or 7 on the amp without blowin' out some
    winders or levitatin' my doggie :(.

6. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    I love 18's..I recently bought an empty Avatar B115 and recut it to fit my old Black Widow 18. Makes an unbeleivably great sounding cab thats light and cheap!

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hmmmm, now that's a thought!!!!

Since I already have a couple of Avatar cabinets (B112 and C15) maybe my wife wouldn't notice it...

Who am I kidding, she can read my mind...

Good idea though...thanks!!!!

8. wait...so the big ben makes a nice standalone?

any highs?

huh?:confused:

9. Remember, Jaco's favorite amp was the Acoustic solid state head with a stand-alone Acoustic cab with an 18.