Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Bergie Has Landed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkySpoo, Feb 8, 2005.

1. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The NV215 I ordered Monday from Bass Emporium was on my doorstep Thursday. Total and pleasant surprise. I wasn't expecting it for at least a few more days.
    So anyway this cab is exactly what I was looking for. Very deep and fat but no flab. Lows are well defined. Not like most 15 inch cabs. Mids are well voiced and smooth. This cab also has all the highs I want.
    Even at low volume you can feel this cab and at higher levels it's truely pants flappin internal organ rearranging good time :hyper:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats! We look forward to hearing what you think of it. I am particularly interested to hear how you think it compares to your two VL-210's.

Have fun!

Tom.

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Hi Tom,
    Comparing it to the VL-210 ia a real apple and oranges thing. I'm sure you know that though.
    The NV just has this deep overall tone. Yet it somehow remains articulate. Even notes on the G string sound deeper. Whereas the EA's sounded crystal clear the NV has more booty.

4. Congrats Rick. Your first impressions are favorable I see. I'm not suprised. I just wish I could try one out around here... :bawl: I can't remember, did you try a NV610 and if so, what was the main reason for choosing the 215 over the 610. I think toneally I would prefer the 215 but wonder if it would have the same cutting ability, better or not as good as the 610 while live gigging.... hmmm. I also am curious if the overall throw (especially outside venue) would be that much greater than a 610. I'm just airing out here, I don't expect you to have all the answers... I'll probably just have to buy one to really find out... but for now I'll keep listening.

5. I'm thinking of really blowing your mind and eventually getting both!

6. Frankie - when/if you do, please let me know! I'd love to hear it in action :hyper:

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was in RockCity Guitars in Somerville, MA the other day. I was actually there to try the new HT210s with the just released EX112s. I was playing through a Traynor 800 watt head. I decided to plug in the NV215 to show to someone who was in there that likes a big, supportive sound. I forgot how amazing that cabinet was. Now, it was just too easy being that the NV610 was directly next to the 215 so that one got hooked up as well. I picked up an Atelier Z 5 string jazz bass and.............well.............words really can't express. The sound was just soooooooo big. Because the cabs are so big you get a 3D sort of vibe from them; like the sound is encompassing. With both cabs hooked up it's unlike any sound I've heard. That setup, my friend's, is what playing bass is all about.

Big String, you HAVE to get an NV215 for your outdoor setup. The combo of the 610 and 215 with your CA9 would be a guarenteed grin every time you played a note.

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Those look great. If they weren't so big I'd be GASing for one. Can you post pics?

9. emjazz....
    Thanks a big steamin' heap :eyebrow:
    I now look like the Goodyear Blimp for the sudden injection of GAS...

So, what did you think of the 210s and sub?

DubDubs, they aren't that big and suprisingly easy to schlepp around. Two is a bit much for me though. I would only be using them about 6 to 10 times a year... but... :help:

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

:D

Happy I could help........ ;)

Man, the new s combo is really great. I like it better than the HT322. It has a quicker response. I said this in another thread but it reminds me of a better version of the old SWR sound. I played my Roscoe 6 passive into a Sadowsky preamp/DI. Man oh man did that sound rediculous!!!! Now, if I could only get Jim to make a modular setup with a 212 cab and a sub....... :hyper:

You out there Jim? You hear what I'm sayin? I want the great big even sound of the s combo with the puch of the 12's. It's time to move some air! :bassist:

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Can you tell me how the HT210S/EX112S combo compares to the HT112/EX112 combo? I find the two 1x12's to also be quicker than the HT322, but after hearing the HT210S at Bass Emporium, I am really interested to hear how it with the EX112S compare to my current Mini Berg Stack.

Thanks, Tom.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

Tom, honestly, I prefer my Berg mini 12 stack more. I really like the mids that the 12" speaker's give. The EX112s is simply a sub and won't emulate the sound of the EX112. I would love if Jim made a sub for the HT112 though. That would be a great sound. With all of that said, I have yet to try the s stack with my own amp. That could certainly change my perspective.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Fair enough. Jim B. does offer some intriguing pairings, though. The neat thing is, players seeking a variety of tones, and playing a variety of styles can find multiple arrangements of Bergantino cabs to fit their respective bills. If I were to have an unlimited Bergie arsensal (I'm afraid I can't do that for every brand out there!), I'd have the HT112/EX112 combo, the HT210/HT115, HT210S/EX112S, and an NV215. Those are four killer setups, IMHO.

Tom.