1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Bertha Cab issues: ideas? Not a blown speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Nov 30, 2018.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Hey all,
    Just hoping someone might have an idea here: we have a Big Bertha SWR 18in cab in our practice space (not mine). It recently stopped working. The speaker doesn't seem to be blown (visually), but it just suddenly does not work. Not an amp issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be a broken connection? A crossover issue?
    Thanks!
    JR

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Could be anything including a blown speaker. Unlikely that you would see anything different on a blown speaker.

Troubleshooting will point you in the right direction.

Do you have a multimeter?

3. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I do... I know a lot about instrument troubleshooting, but very little about cab troubleshooting.

4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Starting to research this and realizing that there's a lot that I didn't know about cab troubleshooting.

BassmanPaul and agedhorse like this.
  5. A quick go/no go test is to plug a 1/4” speakers cable into the cabinet and pace the other end across the terminals of a 9V battery. You should hear a clunk from the cabinet. No clunk then like as not the driver is blown O/C. Remove the driver from the cabinet and apply the battery across the drivers terminals for a final test. With luck the driver will sound indicating a wiring fault. Still no clunk the driver needs to be replaced or re-coned.

bobcruz and thisSNsucks like this.