1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Block 750 Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by silen7ce, May 6, 2010.

1. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    I'm considering picking up a Mesa Big Block 750 in the near future. I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer...

Is there a major difference between the two versions (looks like one has an active passive switch and the other has two separate inputs)?

Has anyone had any reliability issues? (as I would be buying used)

Overall impressions from those who have one?!

My current amp is a TC Electronics RH450 which I really like but I've always been curious about mesa.

2. About a year ago I switched from the Big Block to the RH450. Don't get me wrong, the Mesa is a nice, big sounding and very reliable head, but the RH450, at least to me, is the better choice! (Lightweight, great sound,...)

Still the Mesa is a nice amp, with a lot of full and hefty mids in the sound and great versatility when using the active mid control. And the overdrive feature is also a nice thing. On the other hand, sometimes I had a slight high frequency buzz in the XLR-Out and my first Big Block had some cooling issues (volume drops due to overheating protection).

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The newer one does NOT require a pedal to activate the mute or OD channels. One of the most toneful heads you'll ever find and as bullet proof as they come.

4. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    How is the mute activated wthout a footswitch now? The pictures and Ad text on their site still point to foot activated mute only? I assume the site is outdated.
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Amps/bigblock/Panel-enlarged.htm

5. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
  6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I own one and love it. Very fat and warm sounding head with a rich tubey tone. I run mine with a pair of Mesa 115 cabs and its freakin glorious! Mine requires the footswitch to mute and switch to overdrive but that's not a big deal. The amp has some wonderful features and is dead simple. I've got mine in the wooden headcase so its a heavy beast but it looks so cool and always makes me smile when I plug her in.