big block?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggett, Jun 19, 2005.

1. hey guys,

im working all summer, and by the end i want to buy an amp. most likely getting avatar cabs. so ill be spending more on the head.

i want a tubey sound, but it doesnt have to be solid state. i really like to use overdrive and slight distortion in my tone, becuase i play hardrock to metal.

so, im thinking the mesa bigblock. anyone have experience with it?

or a RBI and QSC power amp.

the GK 2001RB intrigues me aswell.

id sort of rather get an all in one head opposed to a pre/power, but whatever works.

im pretty simple when it comes to tone and amps, aslong as its loud and doesnt sound like ****. i dont like to fiddle much either.

any other suggestions welcome.

~thanks guys
  2. I tried the Big Block 750 last time I was in a music store with a Ash Corvette. It had probably the best sound I've ever heard from an amp, I think you would be very happy if you bought it.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you are on a budget, depending on how much you have I suggest a Traynor YBA-200 which is 200 watts all tube and can get a bit distorted with the stock tubes, and will have plenty of clean power with other tubes, or the Fender Bassman Pro 300. The Traynor is about $600, the Fender is about $1250.
  4. well, im not on a budget, but i dont want to spend tons, thats why im getting avatar cabs.

im working all summer, (im 15) at a butcher shop. i get minimum, or a bit more. which is like 7.25CDN an hour.

so ill have some money to spend at the end of summer. plus my birthday is in august, so ill get somemore cash from that. plus my mom still owes me a christmas present.

what about GK stuff?
  5. damn bro, your mom is slacking...

but GK is awesome.
  6. na man, she aint slacking. it was just at christmas time, i wanted an amp, but everything i wanted was out of the price range, so i told her to just hold onto the cash, and ill let her know. so after working the summer, and birthday+christmas 04. ill be able to splurge.

EDP=august 12 2005. also my 15th bday :hyper:
    estimated date of purchase :hyper:

so, anyone have experience with the big block? :bassist:
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want big fat tone, GK is not the way to go. Its very hi-fi, and though I could dial in a bit on the new models, its not nearly as much as on other amps.
  8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    +1. GKs sound great, but not if you want a tubey sort of sound. For that you need, well, tubes.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The most tubey sounding non tube amp i've heard is the big block 750. It's got one of the sweetest overdrives as well. It doesn't overdrive like an all tube amp, but it does have the warm tube characteristics. Definently one of my favourite amps. I'd own one right now if I had the cash.

IMO, GK isn't going to give you that 'tubey' sound you want.

I'd go Mesa.
  10. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    You should also check out the Aguilar AG500. The second channel has a great distortion tone, IMO. It can go from a slight overdrive sound to all out fuzz. I love it!! Very full and thick.
    I'd love to check out the BB, but I have not so I can't comment on that head.
  11. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Mesa if you can afford it for sure.
  12. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    Right now I'm using the SansAmp RBI in my bass rig and I think it sounds great. I've reduced my rig to only 3 components, SansAmp RBI, Crown Macro Tech 1200 and an EA NL-210 cabinet. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the tone, volume, simplicity and reliability with this setup.

I honestly believe that it would be close to impossible to beat the cost/performance ratio of the SansAmp box. I would recommend using it with a high powered amp of your choice(anything that's reliable and inexpensive used) and the cabinet of your choice(spend a fair amount of money to get something that meets your needs on stage and for portability) and go for it!
  13. hey guys,

thanks for all the positive comments.

i guess GK are out of my search then, but remember. i do want overdrive, with a little grit to it.

the BB is a hell of a lot of cash tho, worth it?

because, i could get a RBI and a QSC power amp as an alternative, but i like the idea of one whole head instead. just easier. and im not much of a fiddler so, simplicity=key.
  14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I say, if you want tube sounds, nothing beats tubes themselves ;)
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't forget eden wt800, and thunderfunk tfb550...mesa 400+...
    What you think sounds good is such a personal choice that it's really best if you can take your axe and speaker cabs and audition a few heads.
    "All parts do not inter-relate in a standard fashion."
    A mesa big block will sound like one way with a 1978 fender mustang and an old peavey 212 cab, and sound a completely other way with a sadowsky jazz 5 and a schroeder cab."

I'm being extreme on purpose, my point being that you can only generalise so far (in hopes of narrowing down the field)before you really need to hear the few that you've decided might best fit your needs...

Happy hunting-Alan
  16. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Eden WT-800 was mentioned... that's what I play & IT'S AWESOME!!! If you dont need quite as much power, the WT-550 and the Avatar 212 cab would give you a huge buttery sound!!! Before I got my 410 XLT I played through an Avatar 410.... Eden, with the tube, is an incredible sound!!

Good luck with your search!
  17. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    :eyebrow: .....much.....confusion..... :confused:
  18. woops.

hey edge,

i ment, i want tubey sound, but it can be solid state, with a tube overdriven pre amp.

what about the yorkville 800h

how bout the mpulse 600? i know you played one for a while edge/silky.

ive got so many choices, dayam.

yea, so im probably going to get the b212 neo once it comes out, and the canadian dealer is in my town, so i can drive over and get it without paying shipping. the cab will only be about 500CDN.

i wanna go try out the bigblock./
  19. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Im rocking a RBI and a Crown power amp. If you give it time and shop used you should be able to get an RBI and poweramp for under 500.

Dont forget the cost of a case if you go this route, they arnt cheap. Also, you might need some weird fancy cables. I needed new speaker cables since poweramps use bannana or speakon.

Research !!

BTW - when i was 15 i was working at mc donalds for 5.25 an hour for a g3 macintosh ;)
  20. I played on a Mesa M-Pulse 600 with the powerhouse 4x10 and 1x15, and its like metal and hard rock bliss. The sound is just incredibly huge and fat and if you crank the gain you can get full out distortion, it's a great sounding head.