Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Brown Truck!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Jul 10, 2002.

1. A big brown truck pulled up to my house this evening, and my buddy Stan The UPS Man delivered my long awaited Essex SJB-62 Jazz bass!!

The pictures on the website do not do this bass justice at all! The vintage fading on the neck is beautiful! I only had a few minutes to look over it before I had to go to work, but it looks fantastic.

The pole pieces were misaligned on the neck pick up, but that was the only thing wrong that I noticed right off the bat. I didn't even get the chance to tune it, let alone play it, so I'll post a full review tomorrow morning after I get home from work.

2. Hey! Congrats CG! Those are nice basses dude.Guess the P is going to be lonely for a while,eh? :D

3. Probably so, especialy since the stingray clone should be arriving any day now too! :D

Too many basses, so little time :p ;)

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Man I love the Big Brown Truck, congrats.

5. yeah it should be there by now how good is the essex bass i saw one at a mucis store and was affarid to try it.thought it was some peacie of sh## jazz clone. it looked nice.

6. As far as looks go, it's is awesome. I'm still at work so I've not actually played it yet. It's first on my list of things to do as soon as I get home.

It took the essex 8 days to get here by UPS ground from NJ, so the Turser should take about as long from MA. What day did you ship it, I forgot?

7. I just spent the last 45 minutes playing my new Essex, and I'm thrilled! The finish is flawless, the neck has some really sweet figuring in the maple. The rosewood board is really nice. The frets are a little bigger than what I'm used to, and the neck is a tad bit slimmer than what I prefer. I'll get over it though, cuz this is a sweet ax. It was very near tuned right out of the box, and the tuners are pretty good quality. The pick guard was vintage white, but it looks more like mint green. I'm looking for a black guard to match my P bass. I'm changing the strings right away. The strings are new, and I don't like them new. The pick ups aren't as bad as I expected, pretty loud and clear through my Fender practice amp. The pole pieces aren't lined up with the strings on the neck pup, but that seems to be the only manufacturing flaw. The action is low, and I get no buzz anywhere on the board. The neck is perfectly straight. The nut isn't perfect, but it isn't bad either. I've got plans to pop on a graphite or brass one. The bridge is puny, and rather wimpy, so I'm changing that today too. I have nothing bad to say about this bass at all.

I wasn't expecting a Sadowsky when I opened the box, but for the money I payed, this is more than worth it. I can quickly compare it to a MIM Jazz, and IMO, it is equal to, if not superior to the MIM Fender.

There is no hum at all, even with the pick ups solo'ed. It has a great slap tone, even though I'm not a huge fan of slapping, this bass encourages me to improve my technique.

I wouldn't not be surprised if the prices on these babies went up in time. I'd pay as much as a MIM Fender for an Essex Jazz and not think twice about it.

The only thing I really don't understand about it, the neck is maple, with a rosewood fretboard, but they have a skunk stripe down the back. That is something I didn't expect.

Anyway, here are the generic pics from the website, and as soon as I get a new battery and film for the camera, I'll add them to my website and let everyone know when the update is done!

this is from the website
    [​IMG]

and here is one I nabbed from his ebay auction[​IMG]

8. i have been wantng a fender jazz bas but have been tight on cash.is it worth the money.how much whats the web site all the info u can give will help.

9. It is definitely worth the money. I payed a grand total after shipping of $141.95. It should be less for you, since you are much closer than I am to the warehouse. Shipping cost me $22, and IIRC west coast shipping was higher than east coast.

The website is Rondomusic.com and they have other options on the jazz bass. The most expensive option they have is the fretless with the ash body and all maple neck, which runs $169.95. Cases and gig bags are a steal also, and if I had the extra cash, I would have gotten a case with it for $49.95.

Oh yeah! I am more than please with this bass. Upgrading this will be so much fun!

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Congrats! I'm totally digging mine, but like you, I think the price will go up soon. They seem to be catching on.

11. The Essex P that I got my mits on had the most "Fender" like feel of any P clone I've ever played. The neck reminded me of the thinner profiled early/mid 60's necks from the big F. It also was nearly as narrow at the nut as a Jazz neck. The flaws I found were nearly identical to the flaws noticed in the above posts - all stuff that is easy to fix, replace, or upgrade into a monster player.

It is quite amazing that one could buy an Essex J or P and replace every single thing except the neck and body with the best, highest priced, most coveted components and still not have $500 in an instrument that would feel and play like a $1500 bass. It would also be brand new and that's saying something.

12. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Anyody have their Lake Placid blue? How does it look in person? Thanks.

13. the ash body with maple neck is darn heavy. but mine sounds so good that the weight is worth it!

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have the Lake Placid blue, as does Nino, but IMO, it's a more vivid blue than I remember LPB being. It's still a beautiful color.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...does anyone know if the necks conform to Fender specs? I'd be great if I could get a P bass, for cheap, and then use the body for my (planned) Warmoth project.

That and I need a P bass anyway...

16. Woke up this evening, looked outside, and there it was, another big brown box from the big brown truck! :D

I bought a Jay Turser Stingray copy from fellow TBer warwickben. It was used and had some wear and tear to it, but it looks pretty good. It's playable, but needs a little bit of work to get it up to my preferences.

It looks and feels really nice, and I'm looking forward to stringing it up and hearing how it plays.

As for the Essex, I put a new bridge on it, and strung it with the old strings from my P bass. Oh how sweet it is. I can't imagine how it will sound with new pick ups and a preamp. :oops:

17. if you dont like it dont blame me.how you like my art work on the head stock

18. I didn't mean I didn't like the bass, it looks great. I just need to clean it up a bit. The misfits logo is pretty cool. I think I might create a whole misfits motif with the bass, like painting another skull on the pickguard. ;)

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    How stiff is the neck?

20. Its rock solid. It has no give at all, like my Squier P does.

Still getting used to the slim neck, but it's all good.