Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big-buck Martin Acoustic...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I just returned from my local music supermarket, where I strummed a $175,000 Martin acoustic guitar! It had 24 karat gold hardware (frets, tuning machines and strap buttons), ebony tuning keys, decorated with Chinese symbols made of ivory and very intricate mother-of-pearl inlays. Also on display were a couple of cheapies -- a $50,000 model and a $25,000 model. One of the salesmen told me that the $25K guitar had been sold earlier this afternoon ("I sold a kidney for nothing?").

I will post pictures after my POS scanner has been repaired.

2. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I hope you didnt play it with a coin :eek:

3. What did you think of it?

I have always wondered if the ornate Martins sound and play worse, as well or better than the lower-priced models.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Those frets are going to die.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    24 Karat gold frets? Those frets will wear out pretty quick.

Then again, guitars in that price range weren't really meant to be played....:rolleyes:

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, I don't think it was meant to be played on a regular basis. As far as how it looked and sounded: It didn't sound like it should cost 175K, that's for damn sure! ;)

I joked to my friend that when you spend that much on a guitar, it should come with a record contract and a clause that makes you an instant star!