1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

big budget cab, that fits in corolla.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blank_0101, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    Ok so I have recently bought a corolla which I am keeping. But it's small doors and trunk mean I can't use a 2x15 or 4x10 I bought.

So I am selling off a ton of gear and I am looking for a cab that does is it all, pushes big air, fits in a smaller car, and is under $500.

I have been checking out the GK MBE212 8ohm neo cabs, maybe get one, then save for another. But I am open to anything, I do not like horns, so if it didn't have one I wouldn't be sad.

I plan to be playing two short scales in standard, and a mudbucker equipped bass that would be somewhere between D standard and BEAD.

Also using fuzz and other effects. My other amps are a tube windsor head into a 15" cab, and a old series 400 head into another 15". Both are nice but lack headroom and are more or less dirt amps only.

2. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Do you want a " big budget" cab
    Or a big, "budget cab" ?

3. Pick the two of these that is most important to you.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    used to have a brown 8 ohm marshall ibs 115 loaded with a celestian when i had my corolla, these can be had super cheap but they are kind of rare

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    For small room gigs I can get my Markbass 102P and my bass (in a gig bag) in the front passenger seat of my Z3 with the LM3 amp and a guitar stand in the trunk.

6. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    My mistake, I meant I want the biggest cab, that fits in a corolla size car, with a good price.

I think a 2x12 is my answer, but you guys might have better ideas.

I guess if I had to chose two, would have to be a good price and fit in my car. I don't work but I can make money pretty fast when the need arises. Just I don't gig professionally, I am just looking to jam with people and maybe gig while I am in university in Denton, and going home in Austin when I have time.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Go check out the Fat rig in a little car thread. I am sure somebody in there can show you a thing or two. Some of those pack jobs are seriously impressive... ironically those same pack jobs will probably be what kills at least one of them when they get in a wreck...

8. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Two questions:

Is your Corolla a 4 door?
    Are you considering used cabs?

If yes and yes, keep an eye out for an old Acoustic Control Corp. Model 402. Best cab I've ever used. 2x15's, no horn, and easily fits into the back seat of my 4 door Ford Focus while also leaving room for my amp, bass, and pedal board. Best $225 I've ever spent. It may not be easy to find one, but definitely worth looking at if you do.

Good luck!

9. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    I would go for used cabs, and I have a 4 door sedan.

The GK so far is light, has two good speakers, and is small, rack size not big head sized in terms of width. I think two would fit even in my car If I got the money.

I sound like I am sold, because I kind of am, but if better stuff was around I'd convert. your used cab ideas are great, but sound like I'd be waiting a long time to find a local guy willing to sell them.

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    If you have the tools and time, you can build a fEARful 12/6 for less than $500. Kits are available for $500 + finish and grill.

With an amp in the 400-500 watt (@ 8 ohm) range, a 12/6 can be loud enough to make it difficult to hear the drummer.

11. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    Fearful.

12. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

Mar 22, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    I put a Ampeg SVT 410 HE in my Corolla's trunk for all shows. Plus the head in a 4u rack case....

13. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Union County, NJ
    Depending on the model a 4x10 or 2x12 might work.

I have a Genz Benz Focus 410 and it fits comfortably in the trunk of my Corolla. My LDS 2x12 didn't fit - had to go in the back seat (too deep).

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What year Corolla 4-door? Did I miss this?

800px-Toyota_Corolla_E70_4_door_sed.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

LOL.... (but not if a TBer gets inpaled by a mic stand or crushed by a 8x10!)

16. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    It's a 2011 4 door corolla (light silver). I broke down and went to GC and used there birthday sale and got the GK 212, It will be in tuesday, so if it disappoints or doesn't fit I'll return it.

Wayyyyy too many projects for a fearful cab. I am hoping the 2x12 is the ticket, then I'll get another and maybe migrate to a MB500 or bass terror from my MB200. Got my sansamp VT.

17. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Wow! Broke down really darned fast! :D

Hope it works great for you.

18. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

I have a Corolla and put two GK 112 NeoIIs in it, very happy. $600 total.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Keep your eye out for a Genz Benz NeoX212. Biggest bang out there that'll fit in a Corolla and you don't have to build yourself. They can be pretty spendy, but you might be able to squeak one in yojr bidget if you wait for the right deal. They don't have that high of turnover like your typical delivery company, Ampeg, collections agency or GK. People tend to like them, but they pop up now and then.

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If the GK 212 doesn't work out, consider a fEARful 15/6 (built or DIY). Even packed for shippment halfway across the Pacific, my fEARful fit in a rented 2012 Yaris 4-door Sedan, which is slightly smaller than a 2011 Corolla.

fearful2tight.

fearfulatfedex.