Big buzz on the G string.....opinions?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Nuno A., Nov 22, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    Hello again....
    I've been listening to a very disturbing buzz on my G string...1st it was only when i played the A on the string..then A and A #, now, it goes from G# to B
    What can it be???
    Its a plain gut string and even if its not new, its not old at all and i already sanded it with emery paper a couple of times and feed it with oil...
    the string is plain and clean.
    Also the fingerboard is not that grooved on that area, really light wear...its not new but just a couple of really light grooves which are expected in a 52 KAY bass...
    And they were already there before the buzz begin.
    Thanks a lot guys

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Because of the sudden onset of your problem, I suspect your fingerboard may have come loose at the nut end. If you want to check it, lay the bass down, take the strings off the bridge, and push gently down on the scroll while supporting the neck. (You may want to weight the top to keep the soundpost in, and put a pad under the tailpiece so you don't scratch the top.) If it's loose, you'll see a gap. It might be a good idea to have a luthier do this for you. You could also have a problem with the string, as you've already surmised. To test your theory, simply try another string. It's possible your gut string has developed a "lump" a little higher up than the buzz.
  3. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    This might sound like a stupid question...
    Is your saddle still in place?

I once had the same problem playing the A on the G string. I had no clue how to fix it - until I noticed that my saddle had broken off and had been pulled between tailpiece and belly! :rolleyes:
  4. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    1st of all , thanks Arnold and Buddy....
    It was the string making all that buzz....
    I just changed the string and the buzz was gone...
    What confused me at the beggining was the fact that the string was in such a good condition...not just an old piece of gut hangin on my bass....
    Anyway......better the string than something else...
    Thanks a lot guys