1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big cab choice to make: ditch the 210? add another? add a 115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Apr 13, 2010.

1. I am currently using a Peavey Tour 700 head with a Peavey Tour 210 cab.

I feel that this combination alone does not sound good.

Note that I have used this head with a few other cabs, including a venerable Peavey 810 and the head works pretty darn well.

It surprised quite a few folks.

I am now contemplating either ditching the 210 and getting either a 410 or even more, and am thinking about Ampeg.

I have seen a few positive reports of folks using a Tour 700 into an Ampeg 410.

In this case I am looking into a few available local options, including a 410 HLF or a 610 HLF.

OR...

I could complete the current 210 with an identical 210 OR a Tour 115, which is what Peavey advises.

Getting an identical 210 would work best for me as these cabs fit in my Sedan just fine.

They are also neo magnets and are therefore pretty light.

If I were to pick a bigger cab, I would have to use the truck, which my wife sometimes needs in the evening for her business.

So here are my options... what do you advise?

Thanks!

2. I like my 410, but it sounds like you would do better with another 210. I would expect it will do everthing you need.

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Adding a second 2x10 makes a lot of sense. It would also give you the option of stacking verticaly.

Can you try before you buy?

4. Warrior_Bass

Warrior_Bass

Mar 10, 2010
    If you don't like the 210, are you convinced adding another one will sound better? I would consider a different cab, and combine. You can always sell the 210 later if you find you hate it. Try 1x15's and 2x12's.

5. IMO the 2x10 + 2x10 vertical stack is about as good as it gets.

Paul

6. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    Unless you don't like the 2x10"s you have stacked :)

7. I do like it but it sounds thin, very trebly, not much boom out of it.

How will 2 x 210 sound better?

Note I should be able to get 4 ohm and use all the power of the cab.

I don't know much about acoustics, I have to admit.

8. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    If you upgrade to something bigger say 410+ whatever else you might want to add and you need to use the truck...cant your wife use the car instead???... Like the other people said if you dont like the 210...another one might not help out much i have ran 2 210 and 210 115 and 410 115... and now 2 410's... It all depends on what you are after for my self i never got the low end punch from a B string that could be felt across the room untell i went for 2 410 stack... But that is just me i have a sound and feel i like and the only way i got it was doing the Big upgrade!! Yes it is a pain in the a$$ at times to move but man that all goes away when i am on a stage and i plug it in and am able to knock the drummer off his seat... man that is Love!!!:D ... All i can say for you is do alot of ABing see what works and what doesn't and then make the choice of who drive the truck and who drives the car...lol ;) Best Of Luck Mate!! Cheers!!

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Have you considered paying $15-20 to have calculations done to report your existing cab?

another 2x10 sounds useful for your car.

10. Mine are Acmes - wot's not to like??? :)

Paul

11. I currently own the ampeg 610 and let me say this: if you get it and don't mine the haul, you won't regret it.

I never use the full potential of the cab, but it's nice to know that I have TONS of clean headroom and "cab room."

Also, if you don't really like the tone of your current cab, how is adding a second cab going to fix that? Even if you add a 115 that sounds great, you will still have that "thin, very trebly" cab making noise too.

Long story short, if you don't like that tone your cab has, ditch it.

Then decide which cab your are going to get.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    a second tour 210 will definitely add more gusto to the first all the way around, but i would think a prerequisite to adding a second cab is liking the first one. plus if you're looking for hlf cabs, you're not going to get that kind of low end out of two 210's.

13. This is my wife's business:

http://www.bowsnbones.com/Default.aspx

She uses the truck to pull the trailer.

Well, if I get a big cab, we'll have to make sure the gigs are scheduled in advance on the calendar and she'll set her appointments around them.

The economy is picking up, she can tell, by the way, she's starting to refuse customers or trading customers with other mobile groomers to keep the closest ones.

Truck is an Avalanche. Car is a Volvo S60. I know... Difference in size...

14. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Sell the 210 and get two 1x15, be a man don't pussy foot around with 210s. hahhahahha Just Fu@% with ya, but I'd go with the 15, not another 210.

15. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    I kind of agree with woody. But I would first get a 15" cab. Run the 2x10 and 15 as a stack. If you don't like the tone, sell the 210 and get another 15". I like the 2x15 setup personally, and separating the cabs would make it fit in your car easier, as well as drop the ohm load (depending on the cabs you choose vs 1 cab).

16. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I dont Know about a 115!!! I have used one like i said in a 210 115 and a 410 115 Setup...and to tell you the truth....I found it to be my Weak Link!!...I dont know i just did not like it...yes it was a bit round sounding... but truthfully i found it weak on the Low end of the bass!!!like i said was not tell i had 2 410's that i was happy!!!... Ans Now I have tried selling my 115 and People just dont want them the music Shop's did not even want it...they told me they have only sold 2 in the last 3 years and i was one of the suckers that bought one of them...lol That just My experience others may have other great stories about their ...me i dont!!! Get Lots of 10's...will be very happy I know I am!!!:D

17. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    410HLF...

18. Ampeg 410HLF or Avatar B410?

19. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    I also have the Peavey Tour 700 head and run it through an Ampeg SVT-410HE. I get plenty of low end without loosing clarity. I have had to play with the eq to dial in the sound I really want, but I've been very happy with the combination so far. I prefer the 410HE over the 410HLF because I plan to add an additional cab, either another 410 or possibly a 210, at some point and the 410HE gives me that option. If you're looking to have only one cab my first choice would be and Ampeg 810, but the 610 serves it's purpose quite nicely also. For me, personally, the 410HLF would be a last choice.

20. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I would another 410 to the existing 210 and take it to 'em.