Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big cab suggestions, anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, my bandmates have expressed to me that they not only want more chest crushing madness from me, but also a better image on stage (gear wise, that is). I do admit that while I love my powerful little mini-rig that is actually pretty loud and sounds great, I am curious as to what I would sound like disregarding weight issues. So I asked if they were willing to help me lug a bigger cab and they agreed. :D Well, that part is done. And now...which cab?

Okay, so I'm still not willing to carry an 8x10 or heavier. But I've thought about an Ampeg 6x10 (or Mesa 6x10 if I could find it). Would that cut it in the FEEL THE BOOM department? Or do you suggest a 1x15 + 2x10? Or 2x15s? Or what? I was in the 3rd row at a club concert a month ago with someone playing a Mesa 400+ w/ Mesa 2x15 and it was knocking my teeth out! Quite an experience. One that I have been wanting to unleash myself. I play alt/hard rock. I play 4-string but I still want chest-thumping fun with some decent amount of grind, overdrive, and warmth. Something around 100lbs and isn't as big as a refrigerator would be preferred.

Any opinions? Much appreciated...thanks!

-T

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You could always throw a Schroeder 21012 or 410 under your 1210... Just a thought.

4. The big shroeder or an El Whappo.

5. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure if I could afford a Bergantino but if I can scrape the money together, I'd give that a look...definitely!

And on the same note, I'm not sure I can afford another Schroeder either. Great value, of course, but may not be within my budget :crying: . But just to consider all options, for those who have had the Schroeder experience, what DOES 2 x 1210's sound like? Or what does any dual-Schroeder cab setup sound like? I mean, what does that compare to? Will it keep up with a 6x10 you think? Curious...

*edit* - Or rather, for those that have tried, would 2 Schroeder cabs give that air-throwing and hitting that I'm interested in?

-T

6. Eden 2x15...serious booty shaker. I want 2 of them !

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mesa Powerhouse 1000.

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You should talk to 'bassjam' (1210 + 1212) or 'James Hart' (two 1210) about the double Schroeder setup.
    IMO either would blow away the average 6x10.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i love it
    they want your amp to have more "image"
    i'll take a pair of small cabinets that sound great over a nice looking refigerator any day.
    Heck they can always replace you with someone who has more image. I mean come on, good bass players who have reliable equipment, reliable transportation, and aren't already busy are a dime a dozen, right?

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Go for an Eden 215. On the less expensive end, go for a couple Avatar 115's.

Have you looked at any 18's?

-Mike

11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    haha, okay, if that were the situation, I'd have to stick my bass in a place they wouldn't want me to (use your imagination). But actually what the band is saying is that I shouldn't limit myself to certain cabs just because I always want things to be light and able for me to self-carry my own stuff...that they were willing to help me out if I wanted a heavier cab. So actually, this was a nice comment from them :D . I always figured if I wanted some behemoth of cab, I'd have to fend for myself. Luckily, that is not the case.

And the "image" comment was actually my fault for overstating their simple, curious inquiry into why I chose such a small bass cab instead of the huge ones everyone has (they don't know much about bass gear). They all do agree that this compact cab is a loud mofo though hehe. I guess what I wrote kinda came out wrong. Apologies to the band for making them look like a-holes.

Anyway, hmm...I don't think I wanna go 18's. But a 2x15 does sound interesting. I'm kinda afraid of having the sound a bit too "round"...but maybe that's what tweeters are for. Or do I need 10's no matter what? I dunno...ack...

-T

12. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    El Whappo, baby. One's on my Xmas list. ;)

13. if you can find one anywhere. The Mesa Desiel Road Ready "Powerhouse 1000" I played with one of those for a while and it was a beast.

14. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Just food for thought, the Ampeg 6x10 and 8x10 sounded worlds different when I AB'ed them. In my opinion, it seemed that they ported the 6x10's and 4x10's to make them sound bigger. In the end, it sounded like a sad attempt to be as good as the real deal 8x10. Like I said, this is just my opinion though.

And as far as size, the 8x10 looks as cool as they come. And the size of the 8x10 I would find more advantageous than the stubby 6x10. If you've got help, the 8x10 is no problem. 4' tall and 2' wide. and in a quite managable package. I've found some PA speakers more awkward than these big cabs.

15. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    i love mine! freq response starts at 40hz i think.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    get another cab like you have if you need more volume
    when i was younger i used to have a band that helped me move my 2x15......................then one day we weren't a band anymore but guess what???? If i wanted to play anywhere i had to bring that cabinet, move it myself, and make sure i had acces to a car that it could fit in (a huge consideration) ;)

17. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

+1

Also, Bass Central has a Roadready 215EV (used) for a decent price.

18. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    +1, got it and waiting on another one.

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, man, that's like, my dream rig, right there.

20. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If you could afford one get the bergantino NV215. They look impressive and from what I've heard sound impressive. I want one but I'm trying to downsize my rig. I'm getting 2 GS112's. Noone in my band cared about how the bass rig looks. It's all about how it sounds.