Big cab tetris, dual stack questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adam Tuttle, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Adam Tuttle

Adam Tuttle

Mar 25, 2020
    Boston
    Hello,

I have been building my rig for a while now and am looking for advice. I am running a two stack set up: 1. More of my high tones -Hillbish Beta-pre>Crest Prolite 3.0> a custom Nomad 6x12 with Ted Weber Black shucks (1200 watt @ 4 ohm) and 2. More clean tones - Mesa Subway DI > Crest Prolite 2nd channel > an Ampeg SVT 212 (600 watt @4 ohm) and Custom 1x15 with an Eminence Kappa Pro-15lfc (600 watt @ 4 ohm).

The issue I am having is that I dont really think the Eminence 15 sounds good (its a PA speaker so not that surprising) and I would ideally like to get to a 4 ohm impedance. I eventually want to replace the Mesa DI with a real amp for my lows/cleans (like an Ampeg SVT or V4b or something, I'm open to input on that as well), but am not sure what is best i.e. another Ampeg 212 (although I would like to run a 4 ohm stack) or just replace the speakers in the Ampeg and 1x15 with better suited speakers, or a couple Orange 1x15s. Obviously, I dont need two 1200 watt stacks (or one probably) so I am looking for thoughts about a solid stack for great lows at high volume that is also 2 cabs for the times when I cant bring all my cabs and stairs are an issue (not looking for an 8x10). I play in a few black metal/grind/drone/harsh noise/meditation/and experimental bands as a consideration.

Attached Files:

2. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    The SVT212 in a stack would be 2 ohms, right, so you'd have to be able to handle that if you got another. The SVT212 also isn't super adept at the whole dub, bottom end thing. It's strong and punchy.

3. Adam Tuttle

Adam Tuttle

Mar 25, 2020
    Boston
    Yea, right now I'm already running at 2ohms, but am thinking 4 is a better idea (I also backline my stuff sometimes and worry about people not knowing their gear). Any suggestions for 2 cabs at 4 ohm that can really handle high volumes?

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  4. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Since you're local I would consider asking Marco to make you a 215 in the same design as JohnK10's build (can be searched here). Marco does really nice woodwork and there are plans for that cab located in the thread. It uses Faitals or Eminence 15's and seems like a great design and has more than sufficient power handling and sensitivity. Plus, your two cabs would match and that would look cool. Another friend has given Nomad specs and had him build to those. Someday, I'll probably do the same.

5. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    If you aren't into that, then there are the kind of litany of examples like a Subway 215, Barefaced Super 15. Then also local, with Revsound and Bergantino.

6. Adam Tuttle

Adam Tuttle

Mar 25, 2020
    Boston
    Yea, maybe I'll just switch out the 15 I already have and have Marco (at Nomad) make me another 15. I like the sound of the Ampeg 212 a lot on it's own, but I feel like it might not be adding as much in the whole system.

7. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    Yeah I hear ya, it might be my favorite Ampeg cab.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021