1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big Cabinet decisions help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ariff, Nov 1, 2010.

1. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I have finally sold enough gear to upgrade my cabinets. I have been playing through a 4x10 and 1x15 for the last 12 years or so. I am torn between the 8x10's and 4x12's. I have been looking at the Mesa boogie and GK neo cabs. Problem is there is no place around here that has any in stock for me to test out. I have a Carvin B1500 head I'll be using to power the cab. There is a guy on CL that has a Mesa Powerhouse 8x10 cab for sale he is about an hour away. I can go test it out, but I have no place to try the 4x12 to compare with. I am wondering if I should wait until one of the stores here have one, but by that time I am sure the Mesa 8x10 craigs list deal will be long gone. He has it priced at $900. Not to mention that cab weighs more than I do at 173LBS. Which I can deal with. but it better sound like a million bucks ;>)
    So anyone out there with expierence with 4x12's vs 8x10's and what to expect sound wise? I am playing in two bands a Rock n Roll cover gig and original Punk rock band. The Punk rock band is very loud. I compete with a loud drummer and two guitarists using 4x12's
    Well thanks for any help guys!

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    There is no hard and fast rule. And no general consensus. Some will claim that 10s sound a little brighter & quicker, while 12s sound a little warmer & thicker. Likewise, GK is reputed to be quick & growly, with decent warmth - while the Mesa is reputed to be warm & thick, with decent growl. But the specifics of the individual make/model (i.e. components, box design, bracing, porting, etc.) usually override any and all generalizations.

In your case, since you have very little access to demo models, you should just take your best shot - since none of these four options will be a bad one. If you wanna rock, that 8x10 Mesa should be a safe bet... :meh:

MM

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    in denver (where i live), it is not too common to see mesa bass gear on craigslist, and i would be surprised if it were different way in Lawrence. in an ideal world, we would be able to go into a store and choose from our top cab choices. i am lucky if i see one or two cabs i am interested in.

if i were you, i'd check out an ampeg 810 at a guitar store (because an area store will probably have one in stock), and then go check out the mesa 810. if you like the mesa more than the ampeg get it.

regarding 412's- i have never played the mesa 412. i have played gk neo 412's and aguliar gs412's in stores. on that limited experience, i preferred my ampegs 810's. i played out of three aggie gs112's for quite a while, which was a good setup. i have read that it is easier to feel 412's in the chest, though 810's are typically louder. fwiw, i haven't ever played a mesa 810.

5. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Yeah Mesa stuff or at least Mesa stuff in good shape does not come up for sale around here very often. I called half a dozen stores around here and non of them have anything in stock bass cab wise that intrests me. However they can order one for me. I'd jump on that Mesa 8x10 but I am not sure I can get over the weight 173 Lbs is a lot to lug around. However I am sure it sounds pretty awesome. That number seems really high to me when all others out ther eare around the 130lbs mark. I wonder how "real world" that number is. I got the specs off Mesa's site..

6. Put on the best headphones you can and go to Mesa's site, they have a video of all their bass cabs.
    http://mesaboogie.com/news/2010/08/mesa-engineering-powerhouse-bass-cab-demo/

See what the differences are between the two, and then go try the 8x10. Weigh how you like it and the differences you heard between the two online and if there is more value in a new 4x12 then a used 8x10 get it. If youi can't try them all, that's abotu as close as you can get.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, there's no hard/fast rule about what a certain type of cab with a certain size of drivers sounds like. makes it tough to decide what you'd like the most without hearing it.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I recently bought a PH810, after owning a PH610 for a couple of years... I've also owned and gigged SVT810 and 810e cabs plenty - and *to me*, the Mesa blows the Ampeg away in volume, low end, and clarity...

I've also played the PH412, and IME it's the equal of the PH610, but won't move as much air as a PH810... Sure, the PH810 is heavy - but it's only abour 30lbs heavier than an SVT810e, but is a bit shorter - it's actualy easier *for me* to move than the Ampeg... Here's mine:

810rig.

PH810-1.

9. I've never played a Mesa 810, but have played a lot through Ampeg 8x10's and own a Mesa PH412. Totally different sounds, as the Ampeg is a sealed cabinet and Mesa stuff is ported. The Ampeg excels at "classic" rock bass tone, whereas the Mesa is more wide open with higher highs and lower lows to my ears, anyway.

As others have said, no way to give you a definitive answer, just my opinion. You'll have to play through both, though I bet either choice will kick ass for your purposes.

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Why does it have to be one large cab - like a 4x12 or an 8x10? Why couldn't it be two mid-sized cabs - like (2) 2x12s or (2) 4x10s?

Granted that two smaller cabs will cost a little more money, but that's offset by their lighter weight and increased portability. Unless you have a pickup truck or a van on call for every gig, that's a significant factor to consider.

Of all these options, I'd be inclined to go with (2) Mesa Powerhouse 2x12s, or (2) GK NEO 212-IIs. The Mesas are heavy - but worth it. The GKs are only around 50 pounds - and also worth it.

MM

11. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    Thanks for posting the link to the Mesa demos.. I think I like the 4x12 the best. I wish he would have given a demo plying a pick on those. I have a feeling the 8x10 might sound better pick style and the 4x12 may sound better finger style.. Now to find some clips of the GK. I'd like to get the bigger cab because from what I can tell getting two seprate cabs 2 4x10's or 2 2x12's will cost quite a bit more. Money is always a problem ;>) PLus I have a SUV and carting around the large cab is not a problem. Thanks guys keep any ideas coming..

12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

ariff,

Keep any ideas coming?? Well, this isn't an "off the shelf" cab, so I don't know if you will have any interest in this, but you might wanna look into Low Down Sound (LDS) cabs. They will make any type of cab you want, and it will blow the socks off of any mass produced cab.

Just my two cents......

13. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I did contact Don from LDS and he said he could pretty much build me anything I wanted. I am not sure what kind of crossovers and what not he uses, but I really like the Mesa player control network. Plus I was concerned about resale value later on down the line..