1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big cabinet users: talk to me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I'm happy with my current amp/cab set up, sounds good, enough volume, not too difficult to transport, etc. Thing is, I've never owned a single cabinet larger than a 215 (excepting a Peavey 410). I find myself wondering if I'm missing out, regarding the world of 412s and 810s. My experience with cabs of that size are limited to in-store tryouts. So, denizens of the 'big is not only better, it is best' mantra, speak to me: needst I a large cab? If so, recommendations? I play in a 'classic' metal band with two (relatively sane) guitarists sporting the obligatory Marshall half-stacks and a very even-tempered drummer...

2. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    As cool as an 810 is I dont need one per say. My 410's speak to me fine. But the 810 has an intimidation factor and a look I would not mind sporting at all.

Its mostly a look thing to me. In a perfect world I would probably own 4 210's and call it good. But I dont.

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...I consider a 215 to be a big box...if you want really big, add another 215 :hyper:...

4. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    The power is more important than the cab size. I play thru either a SWR 4x10 or SWR 6x10 but I use the GK 1001RB or 2001 RB. You just need clean headroom.

5. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, a 215 IS a big cab, (qualifies for entry in the "big cabs" club). But to the point, if you're happy now, why rock the boat?

7. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Point taken about the 215. I really don't need to rock the boat tone-wise, just curious about the rationale of those who choose 'em large.

8. Lotsa PUNCH- easy to hear/feel yr bass, NO NEED to have your bass comin thru monitors(YUK) get's sound comin out up near ear level... Ummmm Makes me smile-big time- when I push a tube amp thru a heap o' 10" SPKRS , don't have to go thru PA to get yr sound out front -at small-ish shows...... MUST be heaps more..

9. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    Big cabs push air and fill rooms nicely. But, if you are in a good PA with a good soundman.... use a small rig at ear level. Fortunately, I am not :) At one job I guy borrowed my rig for a song or two. He played with a pick and I don't so he was immediately really loud. The wall I was leaning on vibrated just like a speaker :)

I use an Acoustic 406 wide at most jobs - has two 400 watt RMS Eminence 15s. Cab is 42x26.5x20, for smaller places there is an Ampeg 610HLF or an Acoustic 402 (smaller 2x15). But - when the time comes to fill the room from a high stage or an outdoor gig - the 301 still rules :) (See pic). The tone is not as rich as the 406, but it is even and deep everywhere in the room.

Power supply is either Acoustic 370, 320, or an Ampeg SVT4-Pro.

Anything smaller than a 6x10 is small.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No. A large cab is equal to the sum of its parts, so there's no need to struggle with the bulk and weight of a 6x10 when three 2x10s will give the same results. And you can leave one or two of those 2x10s at home when the gig doesn't need them.

11. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    True! I used to fight with one Ampeg 8x10 fridge, but now use two 4x10 cabs. One, or both, as needed.

0321092059-001.

12. the engine

the engine Guest

This is going to sound like I'm on CRACK but... I find it easier to wheel around my 8-10 than lugging around smaller cabs. The hand truck thing was never stable to me (low center of gravity and all that). I lean that biggun back and start walking. When I play a tall stage, I just get somebody to grab the top or the bottom while I handle the other end. No biggie. My Ampeg rig is EASIER to move around than my SWR stack. There...I said it and I'm stickin' to it! Anyway... The thing I have noticed is that the Ampeg is power hungry to get the same volume and clarity. I run and SVT 6 (1100w power section) and the two sound GREAT! I don't NEED the volume all the time, but the head room and air movement from all that speaker surface area is really nice. Totally worth it IMO. All that being said, looks like you have some nice gear. Play with some different combos. You may already have the stuff to try and see if it's worth it to you. Put your 2-10 on top of the 2-15 and let her rip! If it blows you away, then you may want to start looking for a single big cab. If you think, "That's kinda cool, but who wants to lug THAT $#%& around?", then you probably aren't the big cab type. Best of luck!

13. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    +1... I just got a 2x15 and find it a easier load in/load out than the 2 seperate cabs that I use to take

14. Lugging arround an 8x10 sucks. Period. It's heavy and cumbersome to say the least.

but, I hate keeping track of multiple smaller cabs, so i like the larger singular cabs. I replaced my 8x10 with a 2x15 and a 6x10. But, i would totally consider 2 4x12s, but no smaller.

Are there any 8x10 cabs that are not build with the same dimentions as a refridgerator?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Markbass. It's not bad, either...a little light on the low low end but has good range.

Can't agree with you that lugging one around sucks period. Sometimes it's pretty easy to lug one around. Leverage helps, and so does a nice handtruck. Getting one up and down stairs sucks, though.

16. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    MarkBass has a smaller sized 8x10. I also agree that moving my Berg 6x10 with its tilt back handle and wheels is a breeze. I hated having to actually carry cabs to and from gigs.

Edit: I do also have an HT/EX stack that I can use for tighter gigs and can also match them with the 6x10 for all of our gigs at the Staple's Center.:)

17. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm a big believer in going modular. I've used almost every cab config there is, and maybe it's because I'm older now and don't have roadies, but I like light, small, yet powerful cabs.

Yeah, an 810 is easier to just roll...until you have to roll it through a muddy or snow covered parking lot or carry it up a flight of stairs. Then it sucks.

To me, it's all about light, small and most important efficient! My rig consists of two 115 neo cabs that are only 20X20X16 and a very light 27 lbs. each...and it is still VERY loud when I need it. I play in a loud classic hard rock band with two loud guitarists and I could blow them away if I wanted to. And because it isn't a large 215 cab, I can fit both 115's in the back seat of my car (215 would be too long to angle in), carry each one separately if I come across stairs, or muddy/snow covered parking lots. I have casters on the bottom 115, so I can stack them and wheel them (along with my amphead) just as easily as the 810 if I want to.

My vote goes to smaller, yet efficient cabs that will work in any situation and be easiest to transport and move.

Obligatory pic...

[​IMG]

18. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    I just got a Trace 2x15 and if this aint big i dont know . sound wise -matched with a 2x10 is is pretty sweet . a few post above someone said it is about power - i dont agree , i run it through a Acoustic B200h head and it is way loud enough for just anything short of very very big rooms or large outdoor venues. moves a lot of air. gain at 9 oclock and vol at 1 oclock and it kicks

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Power (of both amp outputs and cabs handling) is overrated (as in "hyped").

Inefficient cabs need a lot more power than efficient cabs. My cabs put out over 100dB from about 70Hz to 300Hz. I only have a 250 watts (Superfly head with two separate sections - 250 watts per side) going into each cab, and the reality is it's never anywhere near that much...and they get "hurt-my-ears", stupid LOUD.

All this talk of the power handling of cabs and how many watts we need to throw into them is pointless without understanding the sensitivity of the speakers used and the efficiency of the cabs.

One does not need a large, heavy cab, nor a separate, high watt power amp to get loud. Unless, of course you don't have very efficient cabs. It's a matter of finding cabs that will put out more volume with less power (as well as what frequencies you want that volume at). Unless you like hauling huge, heavy cabs and heavy power amps around. If you want true fundamental low end, then yes you need LARGE boxes and loads of power.

But the truth is, almost every cab manufacturer makes cabs that only produce loud harmonics above the fundamental. So when a cab manufacturer says their cabs go down to 40Hz...they probably do, but with also as much as a -10dB drop in volume at that frequency. :eek: However, that same cab probably produces a very loud 80Hz (the harmonic above that) so most don't even notice not hearing the fundamental of a low E for example.

20. I have a Harke vx 8x10 the thing is big and bulky it's way too much, so I down sized to a 4x10. To be honest I'm adding a 15 to beef up my sound.:bassist: