Big chip in body :\

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by t0pher, Oct 9, 2011.

1. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Clear enamel nail polish, use a few light coats , don't try and get it in one coat. Wet sand with 1500 and polish. Almost good as new. You might see the edge a bit but not much. Stay away from anything laquer. The solvents are very strong and might lift or crack the finish.

2. t0pher

t0pher

Aug 16, 2008
    Philadelphia
    It is special, but it's a $500 mim. Not much use in sinking money into it. It's been on most of the major stages in the greater Philadelphia area between its 3 owners.

Will the nail polish method suffice? I'm just trying to get the easiest, most effective method to get the strap button functioning again.

3. I cannot advocate the nail polish idea - I painted cars, trucks and all sorts of rolling stock for years and a few guitars and basses now, and I just cannot bring myself to believe that nail polish is as good as purported.

Most nail polish, as I know it - is an acetone base and although that is the Tree-Huggers version of lacquer - it has it's own set of problems.

Somehow I miss the connection with the strap button, the missing clear coat and why it would affect the strap button at all.

4. t0pher

t0pher

Aug 16, 2008
    Philadelphia
    The ding goes all the way under the strap button to the screw on it. Because of it, the strap button isnt even and manages to wiggle loose when put under pressure. So basically, I have a permanently loose strap button.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, a loose strap button is probably what caused it in the first place. either that or someone tried to tighten it too much and it chipped.

you could fill the ding with CA glue and zip kicker. it might take several times to build it up to finish level, then lightly sand it with 1000/1500/2000 wet and then buff/polish it.

or you can leave it the way it is and dish out the finish all the way around the strap button with a dremel, then screw the button down flush.

6. t0pher

t0pher

Aug 16, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I was thinking your latter theory as well.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm gonna see if I can't fix it this weekend. I'll post what the finished product looks like

7. NewtoBass33

NewtoBass33

May 25, 2011
    The strap will kind of hide it, still not the point.he should own up and get it fixed for you.

8. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Polar solvent are water, ethyl / methyl alcohol, acetone, etc they are generally miserable in one another (acetone will be "thinned" by water,* etc, etc). Polymers that are used as clear-coats can vary obviously, so that to clean an area where a clear polymer finish may contact exposed wood certain polar solvents such as ethyl alcohol may be a damn sight better than a non-polar solvent like toluene that may not only (possibly) bond with the clear finish but allow the debris to maintain itself within the wood, chipped finish, or ledge of a chip.
    Cyanoacrylate consists of monomers of cyanoacrylate molecules. & can be an excellent wood finish. however due to their bonding issues they may not look similar to many clear-coat polymers. They also demand a very clean surface to adhere to in such a situation as discussed here. Thus the demand for an extremely clean surface. Because the presence of moisture causes the glue to set, control of the moisture in both the wood surface (via a polar solvent) and even in the air would be an additional demand to make that chip pretty. The biggest problem actually would be the strength of the cyanoacrylate may be stronger than the clear coat & it may pull more of it off if there was impact, etc. Another challenge is that cyanoacrylate has 1.1 level density of water thus balancing that curve out so the "super glue" cures in a rounded smooth fashion would take same planning.

* (NOTE: "Polarity" refers to a separation of electric charge leading to a molecule or its chemical groups having an electric dipole or multi-pole moment.)

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'd feather the edge then coat with CA , sand, buff, polish.

However, i find that Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails also works well for small drop fills.

10. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Use CA glue and accelerator to build up layers until it's thick enough, then spot sand and polish the area.

11. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    Me too. Repaired most of them with nail Polish too lol. There are several kinds. Now I don't recommended doing mid panel blends with laquer over enamel lol but I have seen it done. Or get some enamel clear from the hobby store.

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hmm; how about the ol' naphtha? it's commonly used to clean and de-grease stuff, and i've found that naphtha and water mixed on the same rag makes a pretty good cleaner. (the naphtha hits what the water won't touch, like gum and grease,while the water gets stuff that naphtha kinda won't, like spilled sugary drinks and eww, blood.)

13. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    This sounds like small potatoes for a three-owner Fender that has been gigged heavily. I would quit worrying about it and keep playing.

14. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Personally, I think it might work. My point was that in the example of the chip around the strap stud, it's a difficult repair to make "disappear". If I had the situation to deal with I'd want a "sample" to experiment with and that's (IMO) the biggest hurdle. [US Patent laws make it legal to refuse to disclose "every & all" chemicals or objects in some patents as "Trade Secrets"; so actually finding the EXACT polymer might be difficult.]

The dirt in the chip is a real problem. That would have to be removed as it would pose all sorts of problems from adherence to clarity. - Someone mentioned the possibility that the looseness of the stud may have pre-existed (a "chicken or the egg" factor) & that may have actually been the thing that caused the chip to begin with. A lot of work could go down the drain if it were the case. An even worse chip could result from a repair getting hit once more.

I could see a repair person not even wanting the job to begin with as it's experimental in a sense & has the potential to go wrong. With low returns for labor & a gamble I think some folks would gently refuse it ("I'm just to busy right now").

15. t0pher

t0pher

Aug 16, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Here's the repair. I still have to add another coat or 2 and then sand it down. I ended up using the nailpolish method and like the ersults. Plus at $2.25...who can complain? It doesn't look that pretty, but it's functional.

[​IMG]

16. Glad it worked out for you; it's a pretty time-proven approach.

17. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Yep went on the net to check & lots of bass players aswell as guitarists are using nail polish with great results.Some fill it in with the colour needed then finish with clear coats.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 23, 2021