Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big D String Problem HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Jun 7, 2003.

1. just changed the strings today on my Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray and am having a huge problem with my D string. When stringing it up and tuning it is starts tuning up then seems to "slip" and drop tuning and wont really get any higher then B or C before it drops way out again. When i first strung it up i got it to D and it also seemed to develop a HUGE deadspot between the 14th and 16th fret on the D strings. I played a for a minute and then it went out of tune. I tried it again and the string actually came popped right out of the tuning peg!!! I dont want to play with and make it worse but i think it may be happening to the G string as well!
    Im probably going to have it looked at tomarow but I would possibly like to know what the problem is before bringing it in.
    Thanks a lot.

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Damn, that sounds like a big problem, you might not be anchoring the string in the peg correctly, are you leaving enough length after you cut it that it can wrap around the peg at least 1-2 times before coming into tune? If when you are tuning it and it 'slips' is it slipping out of the peg or is the peg actually unwinding, if this is the case then the tuner might be bad, the gears can wear out over time and actually not be able to pull the string into tune because of the torque on the peg. This can be true if the bass is old or if the tuners are really cheap or rusting.

I really think that you are not leaving enough length on the string or not anchoring it in the tuner properly. especially since it comes out of the tuning peg. that's not normal at all.

3. you either dont know how to string your bass or you cut the string too short. I did this with my G string before... Good thing they were only Daddarios and not my foderas, heh

When cutting string, you should always leave enough so you can wind the string around the peg once or twice, any less will cause the string to get lacking of grippage!

Sorry man, your D string is shot. Good Luck in trying to get it strung up. :(

4. i left as much length on the D string as I usually do but who knows... its around twice and anchored properly... and yes, i DO KNOW HOW TO STRING MY BASS, ive only been doing it for about 8 years :rolleyes:

anyway I HOPE the problem is just the D string but I definetly think it might be the tuners... ugh... on the optimistic side, its giving me a change to get re-aquainted with my old basses...

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Stringing up a Music Man is a bear sometimes because the tuner posts are "pinched in", unlike a Fender or similar bass. They just don't wanna cooperate sometimes. I doubt the post is broken since they're pretty solid. The MM posts force the string closer to the bottom of the post, which is good because it ensures good solid pressure over the nut.

I don't have a four string MM, just a five. Here's what I do for it. For the D string, slide the string for the bridge in the normal fashion. Pull it up so the ball end sits in the bridge the nomal way. When the string is in its nut slot, hold it taut and measure at least 5 - 6 inches of string past the the D string post and cut there. This will guarantee a good two or three wraps on the post. Then, bend the string at a right angle about 3/4 of an inch from the end. Stick that end in the hole in the bottom of the post, bend the remainder of the string around the post to prime the pump and wind 'er up.

There's a way to save your old string but it's a major pain. PM me for details - I'm off to bed:oops:

6. I really dont think its too short... it think the string is just crap an is losing tension. I tuned it to D earlier and as I played it dropped out of tune very quickly but the tuner was not moving at all. I e-mailed DR to see if they could replace it as I lost my receipt for Guitar Center and I doubt they will replace it.

7. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    Well, If a string is brand new it will go out of tune quickly unless you stretch it. simply bring the string into tune and give a small tug on it to stretch it a little bit, it will probably drop in pitch up to a whole step the first time you do it. tune it back up and repeat the process until it doesn't go out of tune when you tug on it. If it keeps coming out of the tuning peg you are definitely not getting enough wraps around it or are just not putting it on right.

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.

Gotcha. In nearly 2 decades of doing this bass thing, this happened to me twice, and once such time was with a DR string. It just refused to grab the tuner - really very odd. I had a set of Carl Thompsons that did the same thing.

DR will probably replace the string if you write then a note explaining what happened. They use this for product research and improvement.

9. BassWhore, stop being such a bass whore... heh heh ;)

anyway, like i said:
    its around twice (like all the other strings)
    it anchoreed just like all the other strings (same way I have been doing it for 8 years without a problem)
    and yes I know that new strings go out of tune but they dont normally drop 5 steps out of tune and then proceed to fly out of the anchor :D

im stilling waiting for a response from DR

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    This happened to me once on my G&L L-2000. I just intstalled an original bridge (came stock with a Kaler Trem) & I scrapped the bridge screws on a bar of soap. I must of had some soap residue on my hands & the same thing you are describing happened.

Did you apply any oil to the fretboard or have any hand lotion on your hands that might of added a little bit of lubricant to the ends of the strings?

11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    OK, sorry. I don't mean to nag. Some of these other guys make some good points. I've never personally had this problem, so I was just offering what I thought might be the problem :)

12. strange.

on old boiled strings this can happen as the windings start to fall apart at the string ends, leaving just the core, which will pull out of the post- but new strings?

there's been a few cases of problems with DR strings in the strings forum- is it a round or hex core?
    maybe DR are having probelms with their roundcore strings, which require different manufacturing techniques to stop the outer wrap slipping.

actually, IIRC tubass wrote of the same problem with an odd tonal response on the D string around the 14th-16th frets.

13. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    OK, here's something I have experience with. You should always bend the string at a 90 degree angle with a pair of needle nose pliers or similar before you cut the string to length prior to winding it. If you cut the string before bending it you can cause the wrapped wire to seperate from the core. This can cause it to actually rattle if the seperation goes far enough down the string, or to have the winding come apart at the tuner. maybe this can help explain the weakness and why it won't stay in the tuner? just another stray thought....