Big Day Out!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Yesterday I went to a one day music festival called the Big Day Out. Some bands there were System of a Down, Shihad, Silverchair, Alien Ant Farm, Garbage, NOFX, Basement Jaxx, New Order, The White Stripes, Prodigy, and stacks more.

I also saw fellow talkbasser, nil, and his band Augustino were playing. There are a very decent band with some really cool songs, but I only saw half of them cos I got there late.

System of a Down was one band I was waiting for for soooo long, and they started and I was right in the mosh pit. They had pretty crap sound but I wasn't worried. Then all of a sudden the huge crowd surged forward, and a girl broke her legs cos she was crushed. Shavo threw his Thunderbird like a baseball bat halfwayacross the huge stage, and stormed off cos he was pissed off at people getting hurt. They stopped their show and went off cos the barricades broke and needed to be fixed.
    After anotherr band ,Shihad, played (and they were absolutely brilliant), SOAD came back on and they were absolutely insane! I have never seen anyone with stage presence like Shavo. He is so unique throwing himself all over the stage.

Alien Ant Farm were pretty disappointing, but played a few cool songs. "movies" was definitely a highlight, and Tye looked like a bear with his beard. Silverchair were alroght but it was raining pretty hard and most people were sitting in the stadium watching them.

I spent the last 4 hours in the "Bolier Room" which is a huge dance tent about the size of two football fields. Basement Jaxx were definitely the higlight of the day! Absolutely amazing.

HEy, Its my birthday today, but my car got broken into at band practice this morning! Talk about a good birthday present!!!! yeah right.....
    Anywayz, I have to go and cleannall the glass out of my car now.
  2. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Why the hell did you not see NOFX??

Shame on you, shame....

Anyway Im going to the Gold Coast, Australia big day out.
  3. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    *sigh* i'm gunna miss the B.D.O in Melbourne this year :( i wanna see NOFX! it's so not fair. Fat Mike is a certified dude. everyone i know and love is going, and they'll all be taking drugs and moshing without me.

i feel so alone.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I was gonna go but i dont have the money....:(
  5. I'm going to the BDO in sunny Perth (for which read; sweltering, irritatingly hot, dangerously cancer-causing-radiation-bombarded Perth)!

Boy, am I gonna have fun! Boy, am I gonna become dehydrated! Boy am I gonna get my head stomped on in the moshpit!

Can't wait. :D
  6. ARghhh, all you lucky mainlanders :mad:

You don't know how lucky you are, Tassie never EVER get's any decent festivals, or we haven't for 3 years. Anyways, i got my Channel [V] coverage :)

But have a good time! :)
  7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Channel [V] is the only good thing on Foxtel. When i had Oputs Vision (another cable system in Australia) MTV SUCKED. All that was on it was Beavis & Butthead and The Real World. I dont even know what those two programs had to do with music. But Channel [V] is really good because its Australian and it supports Australian Music AND supports the Big Day Out.:D
  8. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    I went to the Gold Coast bdo yesterday! It was great!
    I saw Superheist, Shihad, Grinspoon, System of a down, Alien Ant Farm, Jurassic 5....

However the day really came into its own when NoFX came to the stage! I waited through this band called John Butler Trio for an hour just to get a front row spot for Nofx. And just before they played, Fat Mike came around the corner and I got to say hello and shake his hand! It made my day.
  9. Yeah, SOAD were pretty damn mean on stage...even if I was hiding from the rain in the beer area at the back!

The highlights for me were the White Stripes (who could think a 2-piece could fill out a sound so well, damn they're good), and Jurassic 5 (tight, kick-arse all the way).

Pity the sound on the main stages blew, too much kickdrum, not the best. Our stage (IMO) had the best sound all day. I was keen on checking out NOFX too but 'twas a long day and Mr & Mrs Nil had to go home to sleepy bo bo's... :D
  10. This will be the first year in a long time that Im not going. The quality of the acts seems to on a huge downward slide. It was only two years ago that the BDO featured the Red Hot Chili Peppers, NIN, Foo Fighters and a whole lot of other incredible artists, I didnt even get to see all of the ones I wanted to see. Compare that to this year and last year. And the ticket prices have continued to go up.
    I think its ironic that last year Pearl Jam was supposed to headline but BDO management cancelled them over safety fears after Roskilde, and in a moment of wisdom they booked Limp Bizkit instead and somebody did end up dying.