Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big decision! Aguilar rig, or Euphonic Audio???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AMJBASS, Jan 30, 2002.

1. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have just purchased a wonderful new 6 string Warrior, and I can't decide which rig I should go for. I play a lot of jazz, and fusion. I was looking for a few more opinions.....It is either the Aguilar DB359 and Aguilar GS210, or the new Euphonic Audio iAMP combo with a CXL-110. I have had experience with the Aguilar, but not the iAMP. I don't know...what do you think!

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    The EA should sound exactly like your bass or close. As you may know already the Ag is warm and fat. Do you like the Ag's warmth, or would you prefer the EA's HiFi sound(very clear).

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

in terms of power the two rigs are like apples to oranges. the 2x10 Aggie is much more louder and chest thumpin' than the 1x10 EA. so depending on your volume needs there's a factor to consider, right there.

i've played both setups, and the aggie is much more colored and warm, but i opt for the EA only cause i like the punch and reliability of solid state when onstage. also, as FastSlap said, it is hifi sounding so your bass comes thru pretty full and clear. i dunno if you played both rigs side by side, but the Aggie rig'll come off sounding muffled next to it. then again, any rig will next to the EA will sound muffled.

also, if you're using a low B, i dunno if the 1x10 can handle it without farting out your speaker. the 2x10 will handle things nicely, but if you need something compact, you cant go wrong with a 1x12. they're a nice blend of a punchy 10, with just enough lows of a 15. all in a nice portable box under 35 lbs that's a heckuva lot lighter to lug around a taxi cab than a huge 2x10. i've been on the hunt for a small 1x12 and found that epifani and Bergantino make the best.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    This is such a subjective matter, it's only a matter of time before it turns into "My Aggie can beat up your Euphie!"

I personally prefer the Aggie sound but I'd have a tough time arguing with someone who chose EA over it. As jokerjkny said, I don't think 1 10 is going to be useful for a low B at any but low levels. If you're serious abut the EA, I'd suggest a head and one of their 2x8 or 2x10 cabs.

5. Adrian, go to Club Bass and try the EA gear!!! The fact that you play double bass and electric makes me lean to the EA stuff. Trust me!
    Randy
    BTW I just read you last email. We did meet that time I was selling the Hofner double bass!h

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    These are two completely different rigs, though both are of the highest quality I've heard.

The EA is like a "reference" rig, where it's designed to replicate the acoustic qualities of your bass. The Aguilar has hi-fi qualities in the sound as well, but has a certain fatness and warmth to it that you won't find in the EA...not that the EA is sterile sounding, just not as warm as the Aguilar.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Somehow I doubt that;)

The descriptions here have been pretty accurate IME. The described Aggie will give you more volume, easier and fatter, too. The EA will most likely sound more like what you put in. It's "good" hi-fi IMO, meaning it's accurate without the overemphasis on extreme highs and lows that "bad" hi-fi suffers from.

If an upright is involved and those are your only choices, I'd go EA. If other options are sought I'd look at the 112 EA cabs and either an EA amp or something else. I use a small footprint amp to push my two VL-110s and couldn't be happier.

Is there a budget?

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    :D There isn't a budget involved this time! I've worked hard, and sold a lot of gear. I am looking for more of a "this is it!" type of purchase! I will not be using this system with my Double Bass. I am buying this rig for my new Warrior Sig. 6.

I actually just got off the phone with Dave at Club Bass, and he is a pretty convincing guy. He told me that the Euphonic Audio are strictly ment to be studio quality gear to give you the most natural sound out of your instrument. I have heard the EA iAMP head just recently, and it is incredibly natural sounding. However, I find it a little sterile sounding compared to Aguilar. I am worried about taking a tube head on stage with me though. Reliability is a factor as well. What to do!

9. Although you're in the very lucky position to not deal with budget constraints, you may find this to be a good option if you're interested in the EA combo: click here

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, to clarify things,

I think both EA's and Aguilar's head, preamp, poweramp stuff are both equally amazing. EA's great for the small size of the heads that put out such great tone and versatility. the Aguilar for just straight up kickass tube tone. but both serve somewhat different purposes.

At Roger Sadowsky's shop, i got a chance to try out both while using his righteous swamp ash natural JB. he's got an EA iAMP350 w/1x12 and an Aguilar DB680 hooked up to a DB728 poweramp running into a Aggie GS112. you should actually call his shop and see what they think.

there is also a HUGE difference between their enclosures/speaker cabs and heads.

first of all, I'm NOT a fan of the Aguilar cabs. using my Eden WT400, they sound too boxy and unremarkable to me. But i must admit that when coupled with Aggie's own heads, they're pretty damn cool. its like they offset one another. i dunno, its weird, you just have to try to hear it. IMHO, an all Aggie setup would be kickass for a punchy funk/rock electric setup. i almost went all Aggie, but didnt like the fact that they're stuff weighs a ton. the 2 rack DB359 weighs 50 lbs. alone!

EA cabs are incredibly hifi and will make any amp sound great and i love how small and light the iAMP 350 is, but there are others more specialized cab makers who do even better jobs...

Lots of guys here in NYC, who play upright, are just in love with Epifani cabs. Really true, hifi, and also loud. but, some electric guys on this board say they're too "pretty" sounding, so not that suited for funk or rock. Bergantino is another fav, and lots of electric guys swear by these, but not nearly are hifi as the Epi's. I'm actually gonna go out to Epifani's showroom in Brooklyn later today. i'll try and post a report for all.

all in all, tho, i think if you can handle the weight, and are sticking with the electric mostly, i'd get the Aggie setup. if you're gonna do lots of upright work as well, then definitely consider the EA with the 1x12 or 2x10.

11. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    After months of comparing many amps and agonizing over and what to do, two hour ago I just placed an order for a new Db359. Yippie....This was a real tough decision becuse although I needed more wattage for larger gigs, I loved the warm round sound of my black faced Dual Showman which has served me well since the 60's. Matched with my newer efficient Eden 210xlt volumn was not a problem in the small clubs I play, but headroom somtimes was. Whenever I would compare my tube sound (although only 85 watts in the Dual) to some of the best modern hybrids, I always felt something was missing tone wise. A few weeks ago in NY I finally pluged into the DB359. They also had the EA iAmp which I tried. Right away I knew I was home with the Aguilar. To my ears it was a no brainer from just about the first note. With 200 tube watts into 4 or 8 ohms and matched with my Eden cab (104 sensitivity) volume and headroom will be more then adequate for my needs.

Bottom line is... there is a great amp and sound for everyone, solid state, hybrid, or tube. Everyone hears a little bit differant and compares that sound with the the tone they hear in thier mind. The key is to find the right one for you. Let your ears be the judge. If it feels right...it's right.

Andy

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Cool, in that case the Aggie rig may do some nice things for the Warrior... the EA will probably let it hang on it's own merits.

I haven't tried a 6 with an Aggie rig but I do run an MTD 635 through my AMP BH-420/ EA rig and it sounds tremendous live.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You will achieve the best sound with Aguilar head and EA cabs.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The only problem with that rig is that when you put that amp on top of those cabs, it looks funny. Just like Tiny Elvis says:

"Look at that big ole DB359 on them little cabs... that sucker's huge!"

[​IMG]

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Ah'm jus' sayin' that's a big ole head, that's all...