1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Big difference between FNA Jazzman and Corvette $$?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by delucajohn2000, May 15, 2011.

1. delucajohn2000

delucajohn2000 Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Mercerville, NJ USA
    I currently own a 4 string Corvette $$ and really like the bass a ton. I am looking to add a 5 string to my collection and when I was at my local store getting a setup on the $$, they mentioned to me they have a used FNA Jazzman for a great price at their other store.

Besides the B string, will I see a big difference between the 2 models? Both seem to have passive MEC pickups with an active MEC pre-amp and same body style. Yes, the $$ has 2 humbuckers and the Jazzman has a humbucker and single coil pickup but I can set the neck pickup to single coil on my $$.

I am just wondering if there will be much of a tonal difference between the two. If not, maybe I will look to save a few more dollars and consider either a used Thumb BO or maybe one of the new Thumb Pro Series basses but I can't find too much info on those yet.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The electronics will be the biggest difference, of course back when the FNA came out it was doing things that other Warwicks were not but now the $$ pretty much has all the sounds covered.

As far as saving money, you might want to look again. The FNA should sell for quite a bit less than a Thumb BO. Personally I'd take the FNA over a Thumb. Thumbs are great, but I don't care for the small body and the FNA electronics are very versatile.

3. delucajohn2000

Feb 10, 2009
    Mercerville, NJ USA
    Thanks for the info mmbongo. Reading more about these two last night, i see that the Jazzman has a 3 band EQ and some the them have a basslines pre-amp which would make a big difference so I will have to check out the year it is made.

I admit, I have never tried out a Thumb but love the sound of them in the clips I see and hear of them. None of the local places have ever stocked them though so it makes it a bit tough to try one before buying it.

4. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    thumbs are a beast of their own but personally I dig the jazzmans over the $$. I thnk the extra neck humbucker is just overdoing it. Its a very versatile bass but so is the jazzman. You wont be losing much.

5. delucajohn2000

Feb 10, 2009
    Mercerville, NJ USA
    Thanks Seungkoo. Do you think it would be overkill to keep the $$ and also pickup the FNA Jazzman? I was figuring on keeping the $$ since it is a 4 string and also picking up the FNA Jazzman to have a 5 string but if there wouldn't be much of a tone difference, I might look at a different model if need be.

They just happened to have this used 5 string FNA Jazzman at my local store for a great price and I liked the feel of it when playing it. I couldn't compare it with my 4 string $$ since they were working on that at the time and it didn't have strings on it.

6. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    if I were you try out the 5 string warwick first. Some love the neck (I do) some dont. Its not hard to get used to. I think theres just so much sterotypes when it comes to warwick necks. There are so many other basses out there with necks that are far more thicker and wider. My warwick 5 string is actually very thin front the back. I have a 2009 model but Im not sure if thats why. I have a jazzman configuration and i think my bass is more than enough. The $$ really didnt do much for me. I prefer the 3band pre. I rarely used the switches for the neck humbucker and usually kept it as a single coil anyway.
    But thats my personal taste. You might love the jazzman and have no need for the 4 string $$. If thats the case I would sell it and itll compensate for your purchase and you can either save that in the bank or invest it in another bass, maybe a thumb! youre really going to LOVE or HATe the thumb bass. I love it!

7. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    IMO and IME, the 3rd band (mid) of the MEC 3-band is... underwhelming :meh:

8. delucajohn2000

Feb 10, 2009
    Mercerville, NJ USA
    I actually love the Warwick necks. Maybe since I started back up playing on one it wasn't so bad but I actually prefer the chunky necks they have. I tried playing a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass last week and my hands just felt way too big for it to be honest but that is just my preference I guess. I am sure the 5 string will obviously have a bigger neck but when I tried the FNA Jazzman, it really felt nice.

Decisions decisions. The scary things is i found someone local selling an FNA Jazzman even cheaper than the place I was going to buy it from so it is making me want to pull the trigger even more :)

9. delucajohn2000

Feb 10, 2009
    Mercerville, NJ USA
    I'll have to mess around with it a bit more and see what I think. I felt like I had to put the bass down though because if I played it any longer, I would have bought it right on the spot :)

I appreciate all the responses and information. All of you guys own multiple Warwick basses so you either have owned or played pretty much all of the models.

10. my general rule of thumb is to avoid replacing quality basses. in my mind, getting the FNA jazzman would sort of replace the corvette $$ because, as a 5 string, it has greater range. i myself prefer 4 strings, but if you're into 5 then you'll probably use a 5 string most of the time. since the $$ and jazzman are similar in other ways, the $$ would likely fall into disuse.

if i was in your position, i'd get a 5 string that was quite different from the $$, such as the Thumb. that would ensure that the $$ retained its usefulness for certain things. of course this whole mentality rests upon my own A.D.D. for bass tone. as a young guy i tend to reinvent myself every year or so, so having a variety of basses around is important for me. if you're more focused you can probably get away with replacing one in favor of another.

11. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    +1 every year I want something different in a bass or amp. My taste for bass tones changes. Hopefully it wont change anymore as I think I got the bass I always wanted.

these are all the warwicks i went through in the past 10 months but the streamer stage II's always stuck by but now replaced with the pnut

warwick024.

TG_C_8_5_10_62.

SS2004.

thumb012.

fless008.

warwickthumbs030.

streamerLX001.

newss2003.

pnut015.

12. I bought a 5-string FNA Jazzman without playing it - will never regret that decision. Just buy it.