1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BIG disappointment at COB show in Uruguay

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Roger de Flor, Dec 7, 2011.

1. The show Children Of Bodom did in Uruguay was a fiasco. Alexi told the people "Bear with me, I´m sick". Misses notes on his playing, dissapears mid-show, and in the end, leaves us hanging after a half-an-hour show.
    I mean, you arrive for a show that we were waiting for 15 (15!) years, and you can´t afford to play more than 30 minutes? And no explanation given to us?
    People from all over the country came to see you guys! I think that the great error of the concert, was that the band clearly should have apologized before leaving, and would have been very good to have played 3 or 4 songs without Alexi, saying something like ... "Given that Alexi can not sing again, sing and give you strength to recover" ... If they did that, as the band looked good, they had been given to people participation, which would have sung with all the enthusiasm in honor of his idol. But no, they lacked contact with the public, they lacked charisma. Now everyone is pissed and I can not help to do anything but understand. I feel like we were considered second class fans.

Just SO dissapointed.

2. Just to sympathize, here's what happened at the recent Metallica show here in India (in Delhi). We waited for a good 25 years, you can say.

After chaos on Friday, Metallica cancels Delhi concert

At least you got to see the band members :meh: In hindsight, I feel thankful I didn't fly down to Delhi for the show as I was initially planning.

That said, the other Indian show (in Bangalore) went smoothly.

3. I feel your pain bro, but you´re living in a big market. Here in Uruguay we are just 3 million people, and we the fans have been through this kind of stuff other times with other bands, bands we all like and come 1 maybe 2 times in their whole career. It´s like they have no respect for us.

4. Sorry for the bad show, I'm sure the band has regrets as well. Remember that COB were strangers in a strange land and if one of the band mates is really ill, they would stick together always the best rule for bands traveling in foreign countries.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Most likely, he was already sick and was basically forced to try to give a show. It didn't work, but a promoter doesn't care about the performer. Maybe their contract doesn't give them the authority to use common sense and postpone or cancel a contract.

How sick would you have to be before you would be unable to perform?

6. If I was playin to a crowd of people who thought they owned the place I would have cancelled too. Refunds would have been minus the cost of equipment/property damaged

7. I see the point Brad, but I really am real tired and angry to not be taken seriously by bands that are supposedly "professionals". Epica, from the Netherlands, didn´t bring their keyboardist with them, and played with tracks making up for that, Therion put their studio producer to play bass live, with music sheets in front of him and everything, and I can go on and on with stories like that. I have the feel that because we are not a big market, they just laugh at us, take the money and fly to their next gig. I can´t picture them doing things like that in Tokio or NY, just to name it. And we can´t afford to say "It´s ok, s**t happens, I´ll see them next tour" because these are bands that won´t come again to play in Uruguay.

And COB regrets it allright, they just put a post in their facebook page that says "Sorry", just that...lame.

P.D.: Sorry about the mistakes, english is not my native language.

8. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    That's a shame. Uruguay is one of the most civilized and modern countries in all of south america. I truly want to go there. The people are so european and yet very american at the same time!

9. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Hey, at least they tried. Would you prefer they had cancelled the show entirely? I can play bass through just about anything, but singing when you're sick can be pretty difficult. It's not just open your mouth and sound comes out, the entire body is involved.

10. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, cause under the circumstances you wouldn't have felt bad about the situation at all.

11. Knowing the professional players, they play until they are in a shape that they can't stand on their feet. Can't do much about the human body. Then again fans care less about the musicians and their sicknesses.

12. Well, thank you very much Lucas. If you come here, we will wait for you with a barbecue to remember!!! (hope you are not vegetarian).

C´mon ksandvik, it´s not like we didn´t understand them, we did not boo them or do anything stupid. Just dissapointed with the rest of the band. They are good musicians, and stood there with a "deer on the lights" face. Don´t know. I saw Dio in Buenos Aires giving a GREAT performance being sick as he was. Get my point?

And YES, I would have been happier if they had cancelled the show.

13. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I am of Spanish descent. I have a feeling I would LOVE it there, especially your capital city! And considering that you are the cattle kings of south america...i bet the steaks are excellent!

14. Believe me I understand your disappointment and i saw the FB post and agree if that's all your gonna get that is lame.

Your Engish is better than my Spanish

15. Agree with the fact that the crowd behaviour was unacceptable. Even though the crowd rage was a consequence of the fact that the show was delayed (and, ultimately, a postponement announcement was made due to technical issues: something the blame for which lies solely on with the organizers) one can't ignore the fact that the show was, supposedly, full of people who knew nothing about Metallica, but were there only because it was 'cool' to be at the biggest show in the country.

That said, I feel for the vast majority of the people who weren't there with any intentions of causing damage.

16. I'm sorry for my countrymen's behavior. Even if they had a valid reason, not telling the people what was happening is something I don't understand. I hope you get to hear them live another time, if that's still something you want.

-Maksim

17. Thank you for your sympathy, Brad.

Just wanted to make clear that this kind of behavior didn´t happened in Uruguay, just to avoid confusion.

Thank you very much. I appreciate that. I think we won´t have the chance to see them live again. Market is small and producers here are very careful in their decisions. We only have a limited number of shows a year, and bands like COB normally come only one time. We would have to make the trip to Argentina or Brazil if we want to see them. Of course I prefer to spend my money on other bands that won´t give this kind of dissapointment.