Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Big Droppins 1/2 price

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Mike Dimin, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I am trying to finance another trip into the studio. Therefore I am offering the last batch of my CD, "Big Droppins" at half price ($7.50 US). Get it while the getting is good

Mike

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  3. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Will we be seeing a new CD in the near future Mike?

FYI, I bought Mike's CD a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. It's pretty much been living in the CD player in my bedroom.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks for the kind words.

I actually just finished the first phase of recording yesterday. We did 6 tunes in 4 hours. with some of the best musicians I know. It sounds great and will be doing some minor editing in the next few weeks. I still need to record a solo bass piece and a duet with a spoien word artist (read: poet). So it's well on the way.

Mike

5. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Looking forward to hearing it!! Mikes a teacher of mine and I really owe much of my great leaps in playing/writing/studying over the past year or two to him.
    I really suggest checking out Big Droppings as well as checking out his new disc when its done and even checking him out live if youre any where in the New York/New England area.

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Keir,
    Good to hear from you. I hope you had a great holiday and new years. Hope to see you soon.

Mike

7. I gotta tell you, I almost made 'big droppings' in my pants when I read this thread title, funny stuff. :bag:

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    If you want to know what's so funny, I urge you to buy the CD

Mike

9. I gotta tell you, I'm really curious, I can't listen to streaming audio or mp3s from work, but when I get home I'm definetly gonna listen and see if I like the tunes.

cheers.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Cool

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Hey Mike, just got the album and the book bundle. Just reading through the first few pages of your book Im already looking forward to delving with some more time and my bass in my hands.

Haven't gotten a chance to listen to the album just yet, but the few tracks I heard on the TB sampler were more than enough to know I'll love it.

I don't know if you've gotten into the studio yet (what you posted this thread for), but I hope my contribution puts you ever so slightly closer to your goals!

I think I might have to go get your other book real soon hehe.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    We did the studio and I am waiting for it to be mastered. The new book, will be coming out on Mel Bay. It will not, however, be until sometime in 2006.

Mike

13. Hi Mike,

Well the CD/Book bundle just arrived yesterday and I've been playing the CD continuously in my minivan driving around. Very, very impressive. Is there any overdubbing on the record? I can’t get my head around the cording on the upper end of the neck and the bass lines that are happening on the lower end of the neck simultaneously.

I also started working through your book. I need to get much better at theory to be comfortable with it, but it will get me out of my rut. My fingers are killing me from the cord exercises. Great Stuff! I can’t wait for the next recording and book.

To any other bass players out there that are looking for something to stimulate the ear and mind, check out Mike’s CD and book.

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Roark,

Thanks for the kind words. It is much appreciated. There is some overdubbing - in fact Paul McCandless recorded his sax stuff 3,000 miles away. As for the bass there is some live looping (not overdubs) on Big Droppins and T-Off, but on tunes like Autumn Leaves there is none.

My new record, There Are No Accidents was released Friday and is available on my site. It is mostly ensemble stuff, with just one solo bass piece. It will soon be avaialbe as downloads through the major downloading services.

As for books, The Art of Solo Bass will be released on Mel Bay sometime in '06 and I will be writing a lesson column on solo bass for Bassics Magazine.

Mike

15. Mike, is there a chance that you will ever be able to do an instructional DVD?

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    There is always a chance. But while we wait, I am doing a video lesson for an enhanced CD that comes with Bassics Magazine

Mike

17. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike! A new record?!?! This is the first time I heard about this! Congrats! I can't wait to hear it. I plan on making the purchase very soon. I don't need to hear audio samples. I know it's going to be good.

Man, you've got a lot going on right now!
    1) You have a new column in Bassics Magazine
    2) You are releasing a book through Mel Bay
    3) You just released a new record

There needs to be a grand posting for your new record somewhere very visible on TB.

Thanks,
    Joe